Don't KISS me!

My thoughts on KISSing

Hi everybody:

In addition to seeking solutions for Excel problems I frequently encounter, I enjoy browsing the Message Board for ideas and general knowledge. I search by subject and save interesting items.

I have a pet peeve. I wish more posters would pay more attention to describing their request in the subject line, instead of using generalities like, 'Problem with Totals', 'Help with Formula', 'Need Advice', etc. I know that the rules state that one should be specific, but many are not. Perhaps the experts who reply to such a post could gently remind the poster to pay more attention to the subject of their posts, so one could get a clue as to what it's about.

KISS - Keep It Subject Specific

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Oh, you think not, eh? Well, allow me to present Exhibit A, Your Honor:

Dave [the magician] posted two (2) very similar threads in the Test Lounge on 29 Dec 2006. One regarding to KISS or not to KISS. And another on using Code Tags. One has thus far remained in the Test Lounge, the other got moved. The difference? I posted on one and I did not post on the other.

The defense rests.
Let me set the record straight, lest Greg's head gets too big! :roll:

I am the Moderator who moved it (I concur with Kristy's assessment), and it had nothing to do with the content of Greg's post! As to why I didn't move the other one, I didn't see it!

So, sorry to disappoint you Greg. Though your ability to divert a thread is legendary, you were not responsible for the thread being moved (I have a feeling this will only encourage you to try harder...) :lol:

To Joe, I can only respond :nya: × 10^6! Y'all sure know how to rain on a feller's parade...:cry:

Now, to stumble back on topic for a moment. I'm all for having a nice discussion 'bout how to post more effectively. But I ain't so sure we oughtter be a-postin' links to posts that we find lacking. Whether the post is or is not lame ain't my concern; more at tryin' to mind our manners and not point at the kid with the funny ears as mom used ta tell me. :wink: Were I the chap that had put up a rather-less-than-brilliant post, I ain't sure how thrilled I'd be at havin' it held up as a shining example of "how not to..." - 'nuf said, I reckon...

...I wish more posters would pay more attention to describing their request in the subject line, instead of using generalities...I know that the rules state that one should be specific, but many are not. Perhaps the experts who reply to such a post could gently remind the poster to pay more attention to the subject of their posts...
-Island Vince

There are boards that are very strict about enforcing this kind of thing. The moderators here choose to be a bit more laissez-faire about it. The boards that are Draconian about this also have much lighter traffic, so the enforcement can be done by just a couple of zealous moderators. We'd need at least a dozen or more; and frankly our moderators have better things to do.

It's funny, but I originally posted this merely to have a link to the "Don't KISS me" in my signature. It was never meant to be an active thread, which is why I posted it in the Test area, figuring it would be ignored, overlooked, and eventually pass into the back pages and out of view. But things can take on a life of their own sometimes - "It's alive. A-LIIIIVE I tell you!!!" - and there you are.

And while I don't feel I'm holding any poster up for ridicule, but simply linking to examples of the topic - and most of these posters would I think agree that they were a little too simplistic in their original post - I'll defer to a consensus and take down the links. Of course, any mod can do that too, so I'm at your mercy anyway.

Nonetheless, enjoying the discussion.

buenos dias,

It's funny, but I originally posted this merely to have a link to the "Don't KISS me" in my signature. It was never meant to be an active thread, which is why I posted it in the Test area, figuring it would be ignored, overlooked, and eventually pass into the back pages and out of view...
-the magician

Ahhh, shucks, yer just sayin' that to make me feel good after all the spiteful things that vicious von pookie and mean jm14 said 'bout me not bein' responsible fer gettin' dis here thread tossed into the lounge...

Greetings, El Mago
Re: "It's alive. A-LIIIIVE I tell you!!!"
It may well be alive, but is it still sentient? As an Iranian friend of mine once exclaimed, "You call this living!?"

My attempt at resuscitaion;
The acronym KISS, in all its 'SS' derivative forms is just another way of expressing, "Get to the bloody point!" I agree with your main premise, but I have also found that when you 'force' someone to
A) carefully consider their problem, and then
B) carefully articulate their request,
the solution often presents itself. In other words, the answer lies in the question. I think it's fair to speculate that one's coding acumen increases in direct proportion to the degree of though given to solving his/her problem by him/herself. Is this a fair argument for KISS?

Our resident good ole' boy Greg might consider the following advice to those, albeit few, who would rather ask first and think later, "Quit yer doggin, poke yer noggin and git yer code floggin"!

With great respect, (and tongue firmly in cheek),
Vince

There's also the issue that since we don't pay for the expertise received, ought we not give utmost respect to those who offer their wisdom with only a "thank you", if that, as compensation?

Hello, my friend from north of the border, eh? :-?

While there have been some posts that would benefit greatly from a KISS approach, they are in the minority, as are the kissers to which this post refers. Sometimes too much info clouds the issue as much as too little fails to illuminate it.

And giving thought to your own problem in an effort to clearly and concisely, yet completely illustrate it often does lead to revelation. As you so eloquently phrased it:
In other words, the answer lies in the question.

And yes a thank you is always warranted, even if the answer is not forthcoming.

Some other things I am unliking about posts:
Smugness ("guess I stumped you all!")
Bad spelling and grammar when showing the US flag
Short sign off ("figured it out, thanks") with no sharing explanation

All right, enough for today.

Thanks for chiming in, Vince.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatje

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back