Don't KISS me!

Greg:
Ya know, I think this is a first for me (I'm so proud). I've actually diverted a thread to the point of getting it moved from one forum to another. :-D

Eeeeh, not really. This is where it should have been in the first place. I just never bothered to move it myself, and I don't know who did :)

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Oh, :huh: you think not, eh? Well, allow me to present Exhibit A, Your Honor:

Dave [the magician] posted two (2) very similar threads in the Test Lounge on 29 Dec 2006. One regarding to KISS or not to KISS. And another on using Code Tags. One has thus far remained in the Test Lounge, the other got moved. The difference? I posted on one and I did not post on the other.

The defense rests. :nya:

Boys, if you're going to fight, take it outside. :)

What :!: Actually *fight* with Pook?! :eek: never! (a) She's too nice (b) she's too cute (c) I'm scared of her :eek2: (she has them mystical 'moderator' powers that can make your threads go bye-bye).

And she has a sparklingly cool sig, which surprisingly I never actually noticed before, and makes me "mea culpa" at my previous post and it's gender-specificity.
Code:
Sub SupplicateSelf(ByVal OMG as vbApology)
   BegForgiveness = True
   ShamedFace.VeryHidden = True
   Exit Room
End Sub

Well, you boys can go ahead and go outside if you want. I'm going to stay in here where it's warm. :laugh:

I agree with the Magician here and I was one of the participants, along with Norie, who was just trying to get him to tell us what he really needed instead of being so cryptic.

Sometimes deciphering what the OP really wants is part of the science. I have seen a lot of the MVP's read between the lines on a simple post quite accurately, and other times it is like pulling teeth to get it worked out.

I contribute a lot at here and VBAX, and it is often the most challenging thing...the extrapolation of what they really need.

As was said, some posters are auto-ignore and others are always an interesting read.

On the topic of KISS though...sometimes there is a tendency to overdo the simplicity of a response as well. Most of the people who post here have relatively simple (from our perspective) problem, but have a tremendous lack of understanding of how excel really works (and that remains true for many of the veterans as well, myself included).

I see to many over-simplified, or under-explained responses as what needs to happen and why.

XL - good point. There are some responses by board members that are KISSes in themselves. When a poster asks a question, and the answer is "Use validation" or "try sumproduct", I just know that thread is far from over.:lol:

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the sharing of the knowledge that the MVP's and others have. I've learned how to do things I didn't even know I didn't know, or that I could use.

I guess finding the balance to ask just enough of the question to get just enough of an answer is the key.

IN the meantime >> >> >> >>

imagine if you will >> >> >>
and then >> >> >> >>
but I guess not >> >> >>

Sometimes Mr.Magician, determining the right question IS the problem and sometimes answering the wrong questions the right way is the problem

I too learn a great deal from what the MVP's post here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatje

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back