Creating Word Reports From Excel Data

jwsmith

Hi, I have loads of data in an excel spreadsheet which needs to be used for invoice generation, I've been told that the invoices need to be produced in Word, but for my purposes I can't work out how this can be done.

Mail-merge isnt suitable for my job, I want to be able to press a button on my form in excel and for a Word invoice to appear, any ideas of anything that might be useful to me?

I have knowledge of VBA and have used it frequently before but can't find a VBA solution for this!

Thanks

James

I don't recall the details, but you can use a cross-reference in Word that is refers to the value in a bookmark elsewhere in the document. You should be able to hard wire this to the bookmark, as long as the bookmark being deleted and rebuilt by the population procedure doesn't break the cross reference. I don't have time to check this now, sorry, but it's a cool trick to keep in my mind.

- Jon

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
As per this thread, I'm trying to populate a word document with data from excel. As opposed to push, I want to pull (in an ideal world I'd have it all push).

I tried doing this manually by linking a cell from excel to the word document. I'd then turn it into a bookmark and use the custom properties to link the metadata to the bookmark. By doing this I only have one link.

The issue I have is that the bookmark deletes itself upon the refresh of the excel linked data.

Ideally what I need is a way to call the data in cell c1 for example, store it as a string, then use it to populate a series of bookmarks I have placed throughout the document.

Or...

Again call and store as a bookmark then use the metadata to populate the document.

I know it's an old thread, but my searching did point me to this that seemed closest!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swgrinder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back