Comparing text values in two cells and adding a "1" to the appropriate result column.

Tim5099

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have an excel file with some data in it. I have two columns with one of four words in it. For simplicity I'll call them RED, GREEN, BLUE, and Yellow. A few columns over I have columns "Same" "Good" and "Bad". I'm trying to figure out a way to get excel to put a 1 in the appropriate column, if cell A1 is Red I need excel to look at the word in cell B2 and put a 1 in the "same" column if A1 and B1 are the same word. If the word in B2 is Yellow I need excel to put a 1 in the "Good" column. If the word in B1 is GREEN or BLUE I need it to put a 1 in the bad column. The tricky part is each of the four words RED, GREEN, BLUE, and Yellow have a different set of words that will be called "good" or "bad". So if the word in cell A1 if Green for example it will have a different set of good and bad color words.

So it seems I need four different functions depending on what word is in A1. In the column next to these lists of words I have the date which I'll need to use to give me the sums of same, good, and bad for each day. But first things first. I think I need to use a combination of IF functions and MATCH function, but I can't figure out anything that works. Below is what I'm hoping it will look like when I've got the right formulas.

Any help is very much appreciated!

First columnSecond columnDateSameGoodBad
REDRED4/1/20131
REDYELLOW4/1/20131
REDGREEN4/1/20131
BLUEYELLOW4/1/2013
YELLOW4/1/2013
GREEN4/1/2013

<tbody>
</tbody>

When I switch in the letters from the data sheet I'll be all set.
Maybe, but you need to be careful when joining cell values without delimiting them in some way.
I know you said ..
.. both column A and B will always have one of the four colors (words).
.. but just in case I would make a slight change to Aladin's suggestion, especially since your real values can be "A" or "AA".

To demonstrate. Here's my 'Admin' sheet with the blue area named ColorTable and my suggested delimited values in the green area named Color_Table

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1ColorTableColor_Table
2AASAMEA|ASAME
3AAAGOODA|AAGOOD
4AOBADA|OBAD
5ABBADA|BBAD
7BBSAMEB|BSAME
8BAAGOODB|AAGOOD
9BOBADB|OBAD
10BABADB|ABAD
12OOSAMEO|OSAME
13OAAGOODO|AAGOOD
14OAGOODO|AGOOD
15OBGOODO|BGOOD
17AAAASAMEAA|AASAME
18AAABADA|AABAD
19AABBADA|ABBAD
20AAOBADA|AOBAD
Admin

And here is the other sheet. You can see what happens in the yellow cells IF either column contains "AA" & the other column is blank.
So, just to be on the safe side I would use a lookup table like the green one and the slightly changed formula as shown in cell I2 , still copied across and down.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJK
1XYDateSameGoodBadSameGoodBad
2AA4/01/1311
3AAA4/01/1311
4AB4/01/1311
5OAA4/01/1311
6AA4/01/131
7B4/01/13
8AA4/01/131
Tim5099
#VALUE!
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Thank you! That works great on replacement words I used in the example. When I switch in the letters from the data sheet I'll be all set. Thanks again.

You are welcome. If you insist on switching to values like A and AA, you'll need a separator, an additional char, say a |, to distinguish between the combinations. I should have done so even with color coding. See Peter's post that picks this up.

Upvote 0
If you are still willing to use a macro, I think this one will work correctly with the letters you showed us...
Code:
Sub Colors()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long
  Const StartRow As Long = 2
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  Cells(StartRow, "C").Resize(LastRow - StartRow + 1, 3).Clear
  For X = StartRow To LastRow
    If Cells(X, "A").Value = Cells(X, "B").Value Then
      Cells(X, "C").Value = 1
    ElseIf Len(Cells(X, "B")) Then
      Select Case Cells(X, "A").Value
        Case "A", "B"
          Select Case Cells(X, "B").Value
            Case "AA": Cells(X, "D").Value = 1
            Case Else: Cells(X, "E").Value = 1
          End Select
        Case "O": Cells(X, "D").Value = 1
        Case "AA": Cells(X, "E").Value = 1
      End Select
    End If
  Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Firstly, note that cells D18:D20 in my 'Admin' sheet in post #11 are incorrect. The "|" delimiter should be after the second character, not after the first character. :oops:

Secondly, if you are considering a macro approach, and noting that you mention that you have "thousands of rows", you may consider this faster alternative.
My code has one difference to Rick's in terms of results produced and that is if there are any rows where columns A & B are both blank. It may not be possible with your data and therefore doesn't matter but in such a case, Rick's code returns a 1 in the "Same" column whereas mine leaves the result columns all blank on that row. If you prefer the 1 in the "Same" if this happens, then change the relevant line in my code to this
Rich (BB code):
Case "|", "A|A", "B|B", "O|O", "AA|AA": c = 1

Rich (BB code):
Sub SameGoodBad()
  Dim lr As Long, r As Long, rws As Long, c As Long
  Dim a, b

Const fr As Long = 2      '<- First row of actual data
  Const rc As String = "E"  '<- First result column

lr = Columns("A:C").Find(What:="*", After:=Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Row
  rws = lr - fr + 1
  a = Range("A" & fr).Resize(rws, 2).Value
  ReDim b(1 To rws, 1 To 3)
  For r = 1 To rws
    Select Case a(r, 1) & "|" & a(r, 2)
      Case "A|A", "B|B", "O|O", "AA|AA": c = 1
      Case "A|AA", "B|AA", "O|AA", "O|A", "O|B": c = 2
      Case "A|O", "A|B", "B|O", "B|A", "AA|A", "AA|B", "AA|O": c = 3
      Case Else: c = 0
    End Select
    If c Then
      b(r, c) = 1
    End If
  Next r
  Cells(fr, rc).Resize(rws, 3).Value = b
End Sub

Upvote 0
Rich (BB code):
Sub SameGoodBad()
  Dim a, b

rws = lr - fr + 1
  For r = 1 To rws
    End Select
   If c Then
      b(r, c) = 1
    End If
 Next r
End Sub
Two comments...

1) I would change the calculation for the last row (red highlighted text) to this simpler calculation...
Rich (BB code):
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Think about it... if Column A is the "long column", it will produce the same value for lr as your original code line did. On the other hand, if Column A has blank cells at the end compared to Columns B or C, its calculation for lr will be less than from your original code, but that won't matter because the rows that will be skipped were not going to output a 1 anywhere anyhow.

2) Why did you separate the part I highlighted in green like that... you could have included the assignments to the array directly in the Case statements... doing that avoids some extra code line executions for each loop which should speed things up ever so slightly (not to mention it shortens your code by four lines:whistle:... four because you also no longer need the Case Else statement).

The following modification to your code above implements the two ideas I outlined above...
Rich (BB code):
Sub SameGoodBad()
  Dim a, b

rws = lr - fr + 1
  For r = 1 To rws
      Case "A|A", "B|B", "O|O", "AA|AA": b(r, 1) = 1
      Case "A|AA", "B|AA", "O|AA", "O|A", "O|B": b(r, 2) = 1
      Case "A|O", "A|B", "B|O", "B|A", "AA|A", "AA|B", "AA|O": b(r, 3) = 1
    End Select
  Next r
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Firstly, note that cells D18:D20 in my 'Admin' sheet in post #11 are incorrect. The "|" delimiter should be after the second character, not after the first character. :oops:

Secondly, if you are considering a macro approach, and noting that you mention that you have "thousands of rows", you may consider this faster alternative.
My code has one difference to Rick's in terms of results produced and that is if there are any rows where columns A & B are both blank. It may not be possible with your data and therefore doesn't matter but in such a case, Rick's code returns a 1 in the "Same" column whereas mine leaves the result columns all blank on that row. If you prefer the 1 in the "Same" if this happens, then change the relevant line in my code to this
Rich (BB code):
Case "|", "A|A", "B|B", "O|O", "AA|AA": c = 1

Rich (BB code):
Sub SameGoodBad()
  Dim a, b

rws = lr - fr + 1
  For r = 1 To rws
    End Select
    If c Then
      b(r, c) = 1
    End If
  Next r
End Sub

Two comments...

1) I would change the calculation for the last row (red highlighted text) to this simpler calculation...
Rich (BB code):
Think about it... if Column A is the "long column", it will produce the same value for lr as your original code line did. On the other hand, if Column A has blank cells at the end compared to Columns B or C, its calculation for lr will be less than from your original code, but that won't matter because the rows that will be skipped were not going to output a 1 anywhere anyhow.

2) Why did you separate the part I highlighted in green like that... you could have included the assignments to the array directly in the Case statements... doing that avoids some extra code line executions for each loop which should speed things up ever so slightly (not to mention it shortens your code by four lines:whistle:... four because you also no longer need the Case Else statement).

The following modification to your code above implements the two ideas I outlined above...
Rich (BB code):
Sub SameGoodBad()
  Dim a, b

rws = lr - fr + 1
  For r = 1 To rws
      Case "A|A", "B|B", "O|O", "AA|AA": b(r, 1) = 1
      Case "A|AA", "B|AA", "O|AA", "O|A", "O|B": b(r, 2) = 1
      Case "A|O", "A|B", "B|O", "B|A", "AA|A", "AA|B", "AA|O": b(r, 3) = 1
    End Select
  Next r
End Sub

If I would do this in my favorite programming language, Lisp, I'd never encode the relevant table in the code itself, unless there is a smart reason for doing so. Why do VBA folks opt for such so often?

Upvote 0
Two comments...

Code:
Given the OP said cols A & B would each have values, using column A would most likely be the way to go anyway. We don't know how columns A & B are populated or whether the values ever change & the code run again. One reason I was trying to make sure I had the very bottom row was to avoid having to separately clear the result area of any existing "1"s from an earlier code run. That may be completely irrelevant in the OP's case, and my method doesn't guarantee there isn't existing data further down the sheet anyway, so I'm not too fussed about how lr is calculated unless we learn more.

2) Why did you separate the part I highlighted in green like that...
Because I didn't think to do it any other way. I like your suggestion here! :)

If I would do this in my favorite programming language, Lisp, I'd never encode the relevant table in the code itself, unless there is a smart reason for doing so. Why do VBA folks opt for such so often?
Aladin, do you mean loading the table into an array like this?
Code:
If so the answer is speed.
To demonstrate. Fill 1,000,000 cells, manually or with this
Code:
Sub Data()
  Range("A1:A1000000").Value = "x"
End Sub
Now separately run these two macros. Each just reads each of the 1,000,000 values into a variable.
For me, the first code takes 0.316 seconds, the second takes 4.059 seconds
Code:
Sub LoadingArray()
  Dim t As Single
  Dim x As String
  Dim r As Long
  Dim a

t = Timer
  a = Range("A1:A1000000").Value
  For r = 1 To 1000000
    x = a(r, 1)
  Next r
  MsgBox "Code took " & Format(Timer - t, "0.000 secs")
End Sub

Sub NotLoadingArray()
  Dim t As Single
  Dim x As String
  Dim r As Long

t = Timer
  For r = 1 To 1000000
    x = Cells(r, "A").Value
  Next r
End Sub
If you meant something else, please clarify.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aladin, do you mean loading the table into an array like this?
Code:
If so the answer is speed.
To demonstrate. Fill 1,000,000 cells, manually or with this
Code:
Sub Data()
  Range("A1:A1000000").Value = "x"
End Sub
Now separately run these two macros. Each just reads each of the 1,000,000 values into a variable.
For me, the first code takes 0.316 seconds, the second takes 4.059 seconds
Code:
Sub LoadingArray()
  Dim t As Single
  Dim x As String
  Dim r As Long
  Dim a

t = Timer
  a = Range("A1:A1000000").Value
  For r = 1 To 1000000
    x = a(r, 1)
  Next r
End Sub

Sub NotLoadingArray()
  Dim t As Single
  Dim x As String
  Dim r As Long

t = Timer
  For r = 1 To 1000000
    x = Cells(r, "A").Value
  Next r
End Sub
If you meant something else, please clarify.

I thought it must be possible to have the table in Excel itself and to let the code refer that table, instead of having it "inline" with the code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought it must be possible to have the table in Excel itself and to let the code refer that table, instead of having it "inline" with the code.
As I demonstrated in my previous post, it can be done either way. If the table is small and/or you know speed isn't going to be an issue there's no problem just referring to the worksheet table.

This OP said they had "thousands of rows" so speed could become an issue. If the "thousands" is 1 or 2 thousand, probably not much of an issue but if "thousands" means 30,000 or 600,000 then it will. Given that it is just as easy to read the table into memory and manipulate it there I'm becoming more and more inclined to do so.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back