Need formula to match

yukonexcel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'll try to explain this as best I can... I can't share the sheet as it contains sensitive information.

I have a table with over a thousand rows full of text, and I am interested in analyzing it based on the final 3 columns. All cells in those columns contain one word. There are only 4 unique words in the first column, and 4 different unique words in the second column. The third column contains one of 30 different words.

I want to find the most commonly reoccurring word from the third column that matches every combination of the first two columns. Based on the first two columns, there are 16 different combinations. I would like to summarize the large data table in a separate table with 16 rows showing the most common third column word for each combination.

For example: Column A contains values 1 to 4 (text words) and Column B contains values 5 to 8 reoccurring in different combinations hundreds of times. Column C has values 9 to 39 distributed throughout. I would like to know the most commonly reoccurring third column word that matches the combination 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 2-5, 2-6 etc. etc.

Is this possible? What formulas will I need? I hope I didn't butcher the question... Thank you so much!

Sure:

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX($C$1:$C$1000,MODE(IF(($A$1:$A$1000=F2)*($B$1:$B$1000=G2)*($C$1:$C$1000<>""),{1,1}*MATCH($C$1:$C$1000,$C$1:$C$1000,0)))),"No word found")
Perfect! Thank you again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back