Colo's Html Maker or Excel Jeanie

Peter,

Not sure if we were talking about the same thing. Say you are reading a post with some formulas. Can you copy that post and return all formulas (and data) to the spreadsheet with a few buttonclicks?

Kristy,
I was thinking of userforms with a button "more options" - "less options". Should be quite simple.

little story
One of the largest tools I ever made was created for hundreds of users. (The estimations are between 1500 and 2500.) I was asked to create a second even simpler version, but decided to combine both: while the effort may have been larger at the start, it was easier to update the product later on.

I know how difficult it can be to "listen" to the users. As a phone-helpdesk of my own product my answers were often: "But it IS simple: check out the helpfiles.." or "Sure, you can do that! Didn't you see the button over there?".

Later on, when te product got more developed, I was asked to train the users: 90 minutes + free questions. Those training sessions - about 40 sessions with an average of 25 visitors - learned me how people think and look differently at the products. It became more clear how the product needed to look like to suit everybodys needs.

One of the general rules - to my sense - is: at first show only the strictly necessary, only when asked provide more options.

best regards,
Erik

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi all,

I think: If you like it, use it, if you don't, forget it.

But I have a strange feeling, that something which is really good, is not liked by a few people (because it is good and better) and there is a great afford to find some things, which could make it feel bad.

I'm so sorry, that the world is working this way!

We're not trying to pick on it--at least I'm not. We're not saying it is a bad program. It is simply a discussion.

Peter,

After reading the entire discussion again, it seems to me that your last reply doesn't reflect what has been said.
The first reply seems to be an overall impression.
the HTML code it produces is ... nice and clean ..., but the interface ... confusing
Also Richard who tested it a lot, did agree on that.

Also you got a nice quote
Apparently, Jeanie doesn't use any Javascript. I like that because browsers are getting more paranoid and blocking scripts by default...

you are quite right here
I think: If you like it, use it, if you don't, forget it.

my advice to you would be
If you like the suggestions, use them, if you don't, forget them.

best regards,
Erik

:o I feel bad now for starting a thread which has caused so much tension :-?

I'd just like to say that I like the end result of the program, it looks really nice, was just the UI that I found a little unintuative to begin with. I'll probably stick with Colo for now as I'm used to it but I'll definately be having a play when I get some spare time.

Keep the peace people :lol:

I do have a question about it though. How do we know when there are new versions? For example, is the CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER thing fixed yet? I saw it addressed in the forum, but don't know if there is an updated version or not.

Hi hotpepper,
because you have been one of the testers, there is no change in version for you to see. (But I had sent you a private message, and you should download the version exists)

For others (and you in future) you can check version in tab "more" and click check now.

Hi all,

let's tell the truth!

When I asked for testers here - just testers!!! , the thread was deleted in a couple of hours.
(Because I had used it in the forum and I think the responsible people did not like the beauty)

Luckily Richard at least was able to read my thread and tested it.

He did'nt like the userinterface first but he saw the magic behind it after a few tests.

I had a few emails with the board people and responded to it and send them the download etc...
(Still waiting for a real answer)

Somebody told me, that there is a responsible guy for new programs.
(At this time I still looked for somebody to test it on an english enviroment, not looking for help on this board)

Still I cooperated and answered and send again to somebody else the details.
Then I got a message, that the responsible guy want to have the sourcecode.

I still was friendly also this request was and is absolutly ridiculous!
What do they think, that I give away month of development???

But it is so easily to test. Just use it and look at the produced html code.
You find, it's pure, no f... JavaScript and just plain!

Then after that, people tried a differnt approach to make look it bad.
Like unfriendly userinterface or ...
With two or three friendly words, one could have said:
"On the first view it is overpowerd, but ..."

By now I have understood, that the board people will absolutly fight my tool, in interest of htmlmaker.

Also, if anybody have some sense of html and todays dislike of JavaScript and is looking deeper in the magic of Excel Jeanie Html, it's massively put down.

Perhaps, because it's made by a german, perhaps it is just better, perhaps it is ...

Or perhaps it is not in the reach of the responsible people here.

It is a pitty, but in german messageboards, even some of them make it special available, because they understand it's beauty.

I'm really frustrated about the behavior here, but still I have a dream:

JeanieBeFair

Peter,

Just take a deep breath. No one is calling your baby ugly! :wink:

I have not tested your add-in. Perhaps I will some day. The folks here at the board have been honest, not disparaging. Most have said that overall they like it. They're simply offering some feedback on how you might continue to improve upon it. Most of the folks that have contributed to this thread have written Excel applications themselves. So we all understand how emotionally bonded we become to our programs and how it can be hard sometimes to hear even the best-intentioned criticism.

But please do understand that none of the criticism is malicious.

The issues about checking it out have to do with times in the past where things have gone wrong.

As far as source code goes... Colo's Add-In is open for all to see. I cannot speak for everyone, but that is what I loved most about it. As soon as I had time, I printed out large portions of the code and studied and learned from it. I will always owe Colo, Ivan and Juan Pablo (the developers) a debt of gratitude for what I learned by reading their code.

And as far as "because it's German". Don't be ridiculous. Good code is good code and no one here cares a milligram what country the guy who wrote it comes from. The HTMLMakers (regular & VBE) were written by a Japanese, a New Zealander & a Colombian. So your comment about not liking it because it was written by a German is just plain silly!

Kind regards,

Peter, I think you might want to consider the language factor here because it would seem you have misread/misunderstood much of our communication.

We requested a copy of your program to evaluate it for letting others use it on the board. And that's it. Yes, we would have preferred to review the source code, but we respect that you didn't want to provide it and trusted that there was nothing malicious to the board in it. Also, your program takes advantage of normal parts of the board. So, we have allowed others (such as Richard to use it). But we never said we'd advertise it on the board. Our evaluation was only to judge if we would allow users to use it.

People here have posted their opinions of the tool. Some really like it, some are iffy about it, others don't like it. That's the way it goes. As with anything publicly available, especially when the creator is around, people like to make suggestions for (in their opinions) improvement. And that's what I see going on here.

As for your original Tester thread. We do have rules here about advertising products, especially one that interfaces with the board. We had to move that thread because it could have potentially damaged the board - we had not had the chance to test your product ourselves. You cannot blame us for trying to protect the board's integrity.

And, on a personal note - I'm deeply offended that you would think we (especially myself since I have personally dealt with you) would hold your nationality against you. Your nationality is only a factor when you make it so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back