Colo's Html Maker or Excel Jeanie

Lewiy

Unless I’m just being blind, Excel Jeanie’s add-in for posting your worksheet has come on the scene in the last few weeks. I notice that a couple of people have begun to use it religiously (naming no names – you know who you are :lol: ).

Having downloaded it myself I see that there are a multitude of options which I don’t have time to even begin looking through properly. But the question is, when it comes to posting an example on the board, is it any better than Colo’s Html Maker?

As far as I can see, the only real difference is the way in which worksheet formulas are displayed, which may actually be very helpful for explaining to board members who are unfamiliar with the way Colo’s works, however, if there are a lot of formulas in an example, it creates a huge list which can be a bit daunting.

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on this :)

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I downloaded this and installed it at home. I haven't actually used it yet, but for the moment just looking at the interface was enough.

Looking at the examples posted here using Excel Jeanie, the HTML code it produces is definitely nice and clean when compared to the HTML Maker results, but the interface looks VERY confusing.

To me, it just seems like for something to be used to only show small examples on a forum, it goes a bit overboard with the features.

I agree the interface is very confusing to new users, but once you get used to it the added functionality is truly superb (being able to produce a gif from your worksheet is just damned useful at times ;-) ). You can amend which formulas get posted (eg to restrict to only a single cell) if required, but again the interface doesn't make it terribly obvious how to do this.

I like the Jeanie - I will use it in preference over the HTML maker in the normal course of business (and the formulas sure do look prettier in multi-colours!).

:-D

I like that it shows the formula, because sometimes the HTML Maker doesn't change the formula it shows when you change the cell selection. I don't know why it does that, which is why I started putting the formula in the post separate from the example. With this new one, you won't have to do that. I think you can also do more than one area at a time which would be great for VLOOKUP examples.

I like that it shows the formula, because sometimes the HTML Maker doesn't change the formula it shows when you change the cell selection. I don't know why it does that, which is why I started putting the formula in the post separate from the example.
Yeah, I believe that's something with the javascript. That hasn't worked for me in some time :-?

Yeah, I believe that's something with the javascript

Apparently, Jeanie doesn't use any Javascript. I like that because browsers are getting more paranoid and blocking scripts by default...

Denis

Hi all,

first I agree with you, that it is not simple at first view.
But for this are the help, example How To you find on
http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/html/hlp_schnell_en.php

But I can tell you, that the formulaoptions where due to the german testers of excel jeanie html (who are just excel users)

Excel Jeanie Html is not only a Forum / Messageboard tool.
It's also a tool to bring excel tables to html with many options of css, masked cells etc... for people developing homepages and using tables.
So there is a reason why it looks a little bit overboard :-)

And if somebody has a question, there is even a (still nearly emty) forum for it:
http://www.jeanie-programme.de/fom/fo_na.php?f=1

Last but not least:
If somebody takes 10 minutes time to read a little bit in the help I wrote, he will get a nice tool, which produces pure and valid html code.
(Valid if no links are included, because for target blank), so its even xhtml.

I personally think of course that is a great tool :-) - it's developed over years.
And if a quick introduction on this board would be available, like for the htmlmaker, it would help too :-)

Hi,

To my sense it wouldn't be a large job to insert a "small interface" for Board-only-users. Only then I would recommend it.

It seems to me like this tool produces less bandwidth than the htmlMaker.

It would be great if the "back to sheet" feature which appears in Table-It (see my signature) would be implemented in those tools. Copy formulas in a thread, few buttonclicks and everything is in place on your sheet. How often are we exchanging replies, just because of some typos?

kind regards,
Erik

Hi Erik,
It exactly needs two clicks to produce,
another two clicks to reset the area of shown formulas if neccessary,

and a few clicks for once to make it comfortable for you.

What is the problem?
(Like in Excel, you can just use the sumfunction, but still Excel offers more options :-) )

If I am understanding this correctly, I think Erik and I may be having the same idea...sort of:
To my sense it wouldn't be a large job to insert a "small interface" for Board-only-users. Only then I would recommend it.

My thinking (which I didn't mention before), was why not simply make two versions? One version being a smaller add-in that does nothing but prepare the examples for use on a forum for the "board-only users," and a separate add-in that is the "full" version you charge for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back