Career Advice - Am I being exploited ?

I've been using it in my work so that those interested can find me through my work, thinking that if I leave and someone looks me up in 5 years there is a single page I can keep updated with my email address, twitter links, linkin profile etc .... almost like a brief online CV.

Good plan. I may have to sign up myself then, any self promotion has to be good right? :cool:

Keep smiling and Karma will reward you eventually

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
FWIW once I'd started putting together stuff that I thought was worth shouting about as the junior team member I started setting up meetings where I would demo my work and get direct feedback from everyone from lower grade staff to senior(ish) management. I kept plugging away and got promoted a couple of times and I now run the team I started in and whilst I'm not a high flyer by any means I'm left to get on with doing what I'm best at (not just boozing).

Sometimes it feels like nobody notices and people may do well off the back of your hard work but if you blow your trumpet loud enough someone will take notice eventually.

Dom

I was in this position several years ago. My family wanted to know why I was taking on a major task without extra pay, but I felt I didn't have any choice if I wanted to keep my job. I completed the project and didn't hear anything beyond a "Yeah, OK, it works" from management. Six months later, feeling pretty low, I got called down to the big shot's office where they gave me kudos and a modest bonus. Just being recognized made me feel so much better.

Now, I'm constantly sought to help with automation. And I hear "I didn't know Excel could do that" often. (Haven't we all?) But co-workers now call me before they even start on their tasks, to see if I have a better/more efficient idea. Knowing that I am valued not only by management but by my co-workers means the world to me. I know that if my situation changes and I have to find other employment, I've built a knowledge base that they never will be able to take away from me.

I've suggested to management that it's dangerous to have only one person here who understands VBA. (While it's nice to have them NEED me, it's a double-edged sword when I want time off.) They don't see a problem, though, and are perfectly content with all the knowledge being stored in my head. So I'll be their one and only in-house VBA guru, and they'll have to put up with the big head I've developed.

Here is my advice to you.

Talk to management and tell them that you see the benefit this type of work does for the company and that you are really interested in doing more of this type of work. Then ask them where they can see this taking you with the company (i.e. other positions within the company), and ask maybe if they can help structure a "plan" for you to get there.

This serves two purposes. It shows that you are interested in doing what is best for the company, but at the same time you are probably not going to be content staying in the same position you are currently in. So they probably know if they don't offer you other options, you may shop your services elsewhere.

Very subtle, but could be an effective way of getting your point across without issuing any ultimatums or burning any bridges.

Nyanko
Been there, done that !!
Spent the last 8-10 years, doing the work for no acknowledgement. Started learning VBA (still trying to work it out...LOL ! ).
I have created a number of workbooks that have saved the org many thousands of dollars. In the last couple of years I have done what rorya said AND have also got a small popup whenever a workbook of my design, is opened, that simply states that this workbook is the property of my org, and then in smaller font at the bottom........created and maintained by.......
Last week I was given a 2 scale upgrade, which is about 25k.
I might add, mainly thanks to all the posters here that dragged my sorry butt out of Excel Kindergarten.

Be patient, it's a frustrating as hell, but there will be Karma.

Enjoy the free VBA education your job has allowed you to have and utilize in your next job. Build the resume and make more in the future. Quit whining - this will payoff for you in the end.

With all due respect, Big Bruiser, I do not see any "whining" going on. A concerned individual asked a legitimate question, and good discussion has arisen from that question which could not only prove to be beneficial to the OP, but also beneficial to those who might view this thread in the future. Many of us (most of which are professionals in our field) posted our situations, because it gives an idea on what scenarios one might encounter, and what can be done to help ensure progression in the future.

I think there has been a lot of good open sharing related to this topic. At the end of the day I think the OP (and everyone else who is in a similar scenario) has to ask themselves whether its worth it or not. Nothing is life is one-sided. There are always many shades of grey. It all depends on how you view the glass (1/2 full or 0.5 empty). For a long time I stayed in my job because I felt is was till (the glass) half full. When the situation changed, so did my view on the reality. We can argue back and forth on this, but at the end of the day its all about the person is in the situation. Quality of life is important and if you feel like you are being robbed by bosses (?? Big Bruiser) then maybe its time for a new job search.

AMAS

i had an interesting experience a number of years ago in which i developed a significant collection of softwares which attracted considerable attention from many other institutions in my field of employ. i provided my employer gratuatous use of the software, all of which was developed in my own time on my own pc.

my employer would not pay for or share the cost of the development language i used which was expensive (Mac) so i had to buy it myself. they then attempted to sell my software to other institutions.

sadly i had to seek the advice of intellectual property lawers to stop them, and some time later i copped a rather nasty shafting...

live and learn :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back