Career Advice - Am I being exploited ?

Correction: don't drink in the nearest pub; find one that's out of the way. :)

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Page 2 of Rory's book:

Find out if there is any fellow MrExcel member in your vicinity. If there is then corrupt him to do the same so that you have a drinking buddy (hmmm Mr Schollar?)! :diablo:

Take a leaf out of Rory's book:

Don't let on what you can do with Excel. Just automate all of your own tasks, pretend that they took as long as though you were doing the job manually, and then spend most of your time in the nearest pub drinking guinness (yuk!). :diablo:

And pray that said employer doesn't read online forum threads. ;)

I think I agree with James. There's no harm whatsoever in having a conversation about a bonus with your line manager. Even if you're not contractually entitled, he may recognise the situation for what it is and authorise a one-off bonus as a thank-you. You don't get if you don't ask, and as long as it's done in a professional manner (ie.not stamping your feet if you don't get it), then there's no reason why this should reflect badly on you. In fact, even just standing up for yourself in this manner shows your line manager you have character.

If your company has an Exec board, pick one that you like - or that likes you - and make sure that whateve he asks for you do. Make sure that no matter who else you refuse to do work for, he always gets what he wants from you. That way, you always have someone of power fighting your corner. I've adopted this tactic a few times and it comes in handy on occasion.

And pray that said employer doesn't read online forum threads. ;)

My boss, on the other hand, is so cool! He pays me a bonus whenever I want one. He doesn't mind me browsing forums. I can turn up to work when I like and leave when I like. I can drink on the job, pass wind in the office and spend half my day talking cr4p to my colleagues. Oh, and he's incredibly good looking too ;)

Again, I can't thank you all for your opinions on this (including the pub related ones !)

The sad fact is that I have spoken to my manager (who is also the HR manager for UK) and she kinda shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing she could do. I've tried explaining the consultant cost of getting someone in to amend my work should I leave/die/win the lottery and she just stared blankly at me. She agreed that I should back off and push back the extra work and development "magic wands" that I get asked to do - then in the next breath asks me to do something exactly the same.

I have been doing work for others in the company in my own time to build my profile, etc but then when people come to me for help my department turn them down because "I'm too busy" to help. (makes me feel like a tool !)

At least I'm not alone !

I've never done any networking before so have set up an about.me page and linkedin profile if anyone feels so inclinded to network (see sig, no pressure ;) )

Ok, being serious again.

You're developing your skills, both by doing those assignments but also through participation at this forum. You are also networking here at this forum. Keep at it, good times are coming your way. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back