Bill Gates' Birthday

The best error message I have *personally* seen in the time I've been using computers (PCs, that is)?

That would have to be the time I started up my computer and was greeted with "Cannot read drive C:"

And then it was never heard from again.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Von Pookie said:
The best error message I have *personally* seen in the time I've been using computers (PCs, that is)?

That would have to be the time I started up my computer and was greeted with "Cannot read drive C:"

And then it was never heard from again.

how about a mainframe error message I once saw:

'Hardware or Software error'

Getting off topic here, but my favourite was when my computer was being it's usual buggy irritating self, crashing every five minutes, freezing, blue screening, randomly forgetting it had a keyboard, then it suddenly came up with the following error message:

" :warning: Error: Catastrophic Failure".

:o :cry: :-( :x :evil:

Needless to say, my computer took quite a beating that day. :wink:

Tazguy37 said:
I was gonna say something about my Blue Screens of Death, but if I say it out loud, it will happen. :warning:

I haven't had a BSOD since I stopped using NT4. All is well in the world and I fear no loss of data. Microsoft is great.

I think the trick is to use Windows XP; which has been a lot more stable for me (or dare I suggest Windows ME? :o )… :)

I'm with Nate on the windows platform now. I'm using XP Pro, and the only time I've seen BSOD involved following an IM link, and downloading a viirus(ie. USER STUPIDITY). Nasty rebuild after that.

Cal

PS-I haven't lost a spreadsheet since I upgraded from XL97 to XL2003. The recovery services are awesome.

Here's a good Catch-22 I experienced a few weeks back.

I had a problem with my computer where it would not boot-up at all (not even in Safe Mode). As I am sitting on Dell's support line, sitting on hold for what seemed an eternity, a helpful recorded voice tells me to try to go to Dell's web site for support. Gee, thanks! :roll:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back