average in increments that aren't integers

jacob128

Hi,

I need to average every 7.11111 cells in column A (from row 1 to row 192), then column b seperately and so on... (to column QB) (ie rounding to the nearest whole number of cells, so most will average the contents of 7 cells, but some will average the values of 8 cells)

I also need to average every 16.4444 cells in row 1, (which has the same range as above) but i guess if i transpose my data i can use the same formula, just changing the number by which it averages.

i am useless when it comes to excel formulae, so could someone please show me how to write a formula that averages a number of cells incrementally without the increments being whole numbers?

Thanks in advance

Jacob

I feel so stupid, but would you be able to get the macro working for me please and save it as a workbook that can deal with macros), i dont mind pressing run a million times, i just cant get it to work. i've added the file below
http://www.mediafire.com/?he46yzifi4uuhb8

i'm sorry, and thanks for your help once again

Here's the file, redone. http://www.box.com/s/1sg1z7ynz3dhecuqlx6n

The first tab is the original data, with all the formulas in place. The second tab is the pasted values, with the colored columns being the original data and the non-colored being the new ones. You could write a macro to delete every other column.

Let me know if this is good!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Can you let me know if it is ok? I worked a long time on that :) lol

Upvote 0
i was just coming on actually to thank you:

thank you so, so much. i feel so relieved that that's done, it was an integral part of my dissertation; you've definitely done your good deed for the day haha. i will ask just one more thing of you though: if anyone ever says to you that a geography degree is easy, punch them in the face for me.

i'm joking, of course, but i really cant thank you enough for that. good luck with whatever you get up to in the future...

Upvote 0
Wow, congrats on (hopefully) getting your degree! I'm going for one in business management/computers, so punch anyone who talks lightly of that in the face for me. I dabble in Excel and I'm trying to get better at it, so this was a great practice for me :)
Thanks for the opportunity.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back