average in increments that aren't integers

jacob128

Hi,

I need to average every 7.11111 cells in column A (from row 1 to row 192), then column b seperately and so on... (to column QB) (ie rounding to the nearest whole number of cells, so most will average the contents of 7 cells, but some will average the values of 8 cells)

I also need to average every 16.4444 cells in row 1, (which has the same range as above) but i guess if i transpose my data i can use the same formula, just changing the number by which it averages.

i am useless when it comes to excel formulae, so could someone please show me how to write a formula that averages a number of cells incrementally without the increments being whole numbers?

Thanks in advance

Jacob

Thanks, ben. that does work, but you're right, it is rather messy, especially if i have to do that 444 times. I guess i can record a macro which will do it more quickly, right?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Sure, you should be able to do that. Just remember to use relative references when recording, and do it on a copy of your data because macros can't be undone. Btw make sure to use the formulas in the post after I updated it; I entered the wrong formula the first time (I was originally counting from A1, I forgot it had no data. You need to start from A2).

Upvote 0
I entered the wrong formula the first time (I was originally counting from A1, I forgot it had no data. You need to start from A2).

Yeah, thanks, i did notice, and unfortunately i did forget to use relative references just now, but i had saved it! thanks for all your help,

Jacob

Upvote 0
No problem! Sorry no MVP's helped out on this one; I'm really just a beginner but I did what I could :)

Upvote 0
If it helps, you could always change column C, D, and E into one formula in C =AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROUND(B1,0)+2),1)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROUND(B2,0)+1),1)))

Upvote 0
thanks, am using that now :) . i'm having trouble getting the macro to work properly though:

i'm starting it recording, then copying column c and pasting to a new sheet ive created, then copying column D into column A and deleting column D so E moves into its place, then stopping recording. is this the correct procedure? if so, how do i get it to do it multiple times without having to press run like a million times?

im not sure what's going wrong, but what it's pasting is not right.

Thanks

Upvote 0
The problem might be because the column number is 1 in all the formulas (in ADDRESS); you need it to be sequential.

Upvote 0
Try putting a sequential number at the top of each column. In other words, in the (empty) row A, number your data. So A1=1 B1=2 C1=3, etc. Do this all before you enter any formulas.
Then record a macro, entering the same as before in column B, and this: =AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROUND(B1,0)+(A$1+1)),1)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROUND(B2,0)+(A$1)),1))) in cell C2, and drag it down.

Upvote 0
My mistake. Try this: =AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROUND(B1,0)+(A$1+1)),A$1)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROUND(B2,0)+(A$1)),A$1)))

Upvote 0
I feel so stupid, but would you be able to get the macro working for me please and save it as a workbook that can deal with macros), i dont mind pressing run a million times, i just cant get it to work. i've added the file below
http://www.mediafire.com/?he46yzifi4uuhb8

i'm sorry, and thanks for your help once again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back