Are your passwords as "secure" as you think?

Actually, why are we worrying? Most of the things I use which need a password have a 3 chance rule (SAP, Email, Work PC, Online Banking). If you don't get it right in 3 tries then it locks you out and you have to call the IT people.

Surely most important systems have a similar rule, meaning they will never be hacked.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Actually, why are we worrying? Most of the things I use which need a password have a 3 chance rule (SAP, Email, Work PC, Online Banking). If you don't get it right in 3 tries then it locks you out and you have to call the IT people.

Surely most important systems have a similar rule, meaning they will never be hacked.

This is where the other aspect of protecting yourself comes in and you keep yourself aware of people using social engineering to try and get you to disclose your passwords or the answers to the forgotten password questions (though I'm sure that used to just be called conning people rather than social engineering?!?)

The Google and Adobe hacks last year were due to holes in the software but these were only activated by clicking a link in an email. The emails were sent to individuals in the company rather than everyone and were specifically targeted towards those people which made them much more believable.

I don't think the perpetrators of the google hack are coming afetr my MrExcel password though so hopefully I'm safe for now.

Nick

Unless of course you've got a situation like at work here where my supervisor told us that if we have such a complicated and/or hard to type password that we keep getting locked out of systems, she is going to come over and make a password for us... well, you know at that point it's not going to be anything terribly complex...:laugh:

Anybody heard of this method of password generation called Diceware?
Basically they have come of with a dictionary of words based on 5 digit values.

Then you roll a dice five times per word and as many words as you like (25 rolls for a five word password) then you concatenate the words as your password. Interesting, but thoughts from this group?

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

For our company, the weakest link is the help desk. We have network log ins, so I can go to any laptop and type my employee ID number and password and get access to my desktop, outlook email, etc.

Get it wrong 3 or 5 times and I'm locked out and have to call IT. There is no identity validation when I call IT, just give them my employee number and tell them I'm locked out. They'll reset it w/ a generic password that I then have to reset on your next log in.

Do you know what's freely available on our corporate directory? People's employee id! So if I was the type, I could do to one of the computers in one of the workrooms and type in some employee's ID, get it locked, call the help desk and get it reset, and relog in and have access to their email account as well as anything they've put on their network drive allocation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back