Am I thinking right?

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
And a big ol' bear hug to Pookie! I looked for that thread this morning -- I tried using advanced search for "spoonfeeding" with Iridium as the author and didn't find it. Good job, Pook!

And a big ol' bear hug to Pookie! I looked for that thread this morning -- I tried using advanced search for "spoonfeeding" with Iridium as the author and didn't find it. Good job, Pook!

All I did was click the 'search' button that brings up the little dropdown search box and type in 'spoonfeeding.' :laugh: I couldn't even remember who started it, I just remembered that title. It comes up as 6-7 or so in the results.

I'd like to add my experience, if I may. I don't visit as much as some of you, and am nowhere near the level of expertise as a lot of you. But several very wonderful people have helped me out of bind and I have been most appreciative. I have always tried to research my problem first, and communicate what steps I have already taken, so as to show that I'm not looking for a 'handout'. However, I have seen many who just want the solution without any of the gruntwork. I've respected the people that have so diplomatically shown links to articles and previous posts that answer the question, as well as those so generous to just give the answer.

Certainly, I think it would be great if everyone would do their due diligence before asking the great minds here. However, I can imagine a day when I don't have the time, patience or lack of panic to do that myself, and I will be indebted to the kind soul who just gives me the answer.

In keeping with Karma, I will do the same, and ask no questions.

Once again, thank all of you who have shared your knowledge and experience with me and all the others who have benefited from this site. The site and all of you who contribute are an invaluable resource in my toolbelt.

-S

Just a quick question:

What's your take on homework posts like this one?

Answer once so its off the radar or just ignore it and hope it will sink?

Where I can, I try to discuss approaches, give a partial solution and point the person in the direction to work out the rest, or simply link previous posts asking a similar quesiton that has already been answered.

If the user then needs further guideance, I watch the subscribed threat for further quesitons for a while. I will put alot more effort into a question where the poster has had an attempt and cant get their formula/macro working properly than someone who gives no indication of having made an attempt themselves.

I saw the post yytsunamiyy mentioned earlier and just passed on by.

When I see the posts along the lines of:
I have a spreadsheet and I need it to have a button where you click it and the spreadsheet goes into 11 databases, extracts data, validates, constructs a complete graphic dashboard report, makes the coffee and then maps the human genome. Can someone provide code urgently as I need to submit this today!
I have to resist the urge to reply with, 'Well you're stuffed arent ya?'

I've recently delved back into the world of "I don't know jack" having had a business need to pick up and learn Access. I forget how hard it is when you just don't know where to start. So, to an extent, I can now sympathise with those who know what they want but have no idea of how to get it. However, thanks to my experience on this board, I am well equipped to understand what I need to ask to get useful answers. It takes time and effort to achieve high levels of competency in ANY application. It's painful, and sometimes you just want to throw a tantrum and ask someone else to just hand you a finished product, but it don't work like that!!!!
Directing back at the original question......if people ask for a full solution to something, they will not get many/any useful answers. Generally I think the board members here don't want to spend THAT much time and effort on something that is not only probably quite complex, but also is very difficult to understand what is really required because the poster doesn't really know HOW it's done. But, on the flip side, as was mentioned earlier, these types of threads can occasionally be picked up by a relative newbie looking for a mini project to hone their skills on.
I think the best attribute that this site has is its volume and range of experience of members. There's something for everyone from the smallest formula to the most complex VBA project. No matter what level you are at, there's almost always someone who can help you and another that you yourself can help.

I think the best attribute that this site has is its volume and range of experience of members. There's something for everyone from the smallest formula to the most complex VBA project. No matter what level you are at, there's almost always someone who can help you and another that you yourself can help.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. There are some things that are not the kind of thing I would ever need to do at work, so I find them interesting and challenging, whereas others might find them too boring to respond to; equally there are some types of question that just make me think "Oh God not again" and walk on by. It's horses for courses and luckily there's a pretty big stable here! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BPNuyttens

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back