Advice required on Excel games

What type of game should I develop next?

• RPG

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Racing

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Shoot-em-up

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Platformer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think a separate forum would be a fantastic start to furthering the resources available to Excel game developers. Let me know if you want me to send a PM to someone as a form of petition.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
PM away kind Sir.

My current collaborater has disappeared taking most of a game with him (it's mostly a load of creative writing and he doesn't know how to code so I'm not that bothered).

A place to share ideas would be excellento.

Actually, if anyone's interested, I've got a game that needs testing.

There's a bug in it somewhere that I just can't find that completely knackers your game up, but it's still playable enough.

It's called "Web Defence" and is a pretty simple turn-based affair that I knocked up in a couple of hours.

PM me if you'd like a copy and I'll email it to you.

A separate forum (or sub-forum on general Excel forum) for Excel gaming and crazy stuff in general would be a great idea.

In fact, I was thinking about running a Forum on my website, but I have not enough time and skill to manage and moderate it - there is a lot of technical issues involved, high threat of hacking, spambots etc. If someone is able to manage the technical part, I could support a domain and bandwidth :)

I've have the same problem.

I've had my own forum running before, but it was constantly hacked, regardless of how up to date I kept the installation. I did manage to prevent most spambots, but the hacking just got tiresome, so I stopped running the forum.

Are any of us here more familier with the mods on this site? Judging by our post counts none of us (at least on this page) are regulars, which might make things difficult (a bunch of non-regular members requesting a whole new forum are not likely to get it. If they did that for everyone it'd be chaos).

That said, I'd be happy to put forward case to one of the mods for a new section.

clut I like the simpleRPG game. One thing I would maybe think about is when you have upgrade points and click upgrade there is no way to take them back if you didn't really want to upgrade something. That would probably take quite a bit more code though, just to make sure that people weren't taking more away than was allowed. But great job with it.

The only problem I see with a separate forum is the lack of file sharing on this board. You would either have to store it on a file sharing site with just giving out the password and then using the forum to communicate what has been done.

The easiest way to start this off would be just to post an appropriate topic of discussion within the lounge - Maybe "Excel Gaming". We could then share ideas as appropriate, and use external methods to share the actual in process coding efforts. This board is probably the best candidate for this effort as the number of Excel coders is probably the highest of any on the web, thus we are more likely to get those people who are coders interested in the efforts.

We would likely need a thread 'lead' to manage things.

If the thread really takes off and becomes a hot topic of discussion, we could then see if a moderator will Sticky it to the top of the lounge.

Just my three cents (inflation you know!)

Owen

bloody inflation! now I can't even afford an opinion.

Anyway, I'm happy to manage the thread by way of keeping the first post updated with ideas, listing the projects underway, finished games, that sort of thing.

I can also host finished (or beta test version) games if anyone needs it. I can either expand my site (see sig) or create a separate one.

That said, it may be good practice to use bartlomiej's site for finished games and I can host beta versions and unfinished games, with a link to all in the first post.

Nice to see this is moving forward.

clut I like the simpleRPG game. One thing I would maybe think about is when you have upgrade points and click upgrade there is no way to take them back if you didn't really want to upgrade something. That would probably take quite a bit more code though, just to make sure that people weren't taking more away than was allowed. But great job with it.

I shall add this to the list of possible changes/additions/fixes. If you finish a game with a good score, E-mail it to me and I'll include your score in the next versions download file.
(note, I can only accept the bolded score entry, which is the most recently played game as I'm able to verify that entry to ensure the player hasn't cheated in any way and adjusted their score)

Since MS made Visual Studio a free download, it seems almost a waste of time to bother with VBA as a game development platform anymore...

VBA being non-compiled really puts a damper on game animation. Whole forums out there dedicated to the hobbyist game developers using VB.Net or C# in Visual Studio 2008 (not to mention XNA). I found myself feeling too constrained with Excel and VBA...

Check out the Coding4Fun blog for instance.

Just a lot more cool stuff to explore over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back