Access Field Not Updating

Excel_77

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel spreadsheet uploaded to Access, and created a table in Access for it to feed into. I needed a new field so I updated my source spreadsheet and added the field into my Access table, however the information from the Excel spreadsheet has not fed into my Access table, what could be wrong?

I've refreshed the tables and the link is working.

I'm very new to Access.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Did you import the Excel spreadsheet, or link it?
If you linked it, I believe you will need to refresh the links in order to see it.
If you imported it, it will not show up automatically, you would need to re-import the data.

Upvote 0
Did you import the Excel spreadsheet, or link it?
If you linked it, I believe you will need to refresh the links in order to see it.
If you imported it, it will not show up automatically, you would need to re-import the data.

It's linked to a spreadsheet on my desktop, the source spreadsheet within Access has updated with the field and I have refreshed the links to no avail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
added the field into my Access
How exactly did you do that? I didn't think you are able to edit the table properties of a linked table in Access?

To refresh the table, right-click on it, select "Linked Table Manager", check the table, and click OK.

Upvote 0
I have tried to delete it and reimport it but the table I have setup in Access still can't pick up on it.

Upvote 0
I have tried to delete it and reimport it but the table I have setup in Access still can't pick up on it.
I am finding your statements a bit confusing. I cannot tell if you have imported the table or linked it.
If you deleted the table in Access, there would be no table to pick it up.

Linked tables and imported tables are two very distinctly different things in Access.

If you import the data into a table in Access, the data physically resides in an Access table that is not connected to anything on the outside. So any changes to the original Excel file wuld NOT affect the Access table, and any change to the Access table would NOT affect the original Excel file.

If you link the Excel file into Access, the data does NOT physically reside in Access, but there is a link in your table objects out to the Excel file. So any changes in one affects the other, though changes to table structure probably will not be reflected unless you refresh the link afterwards. In the Access table section, the icon looks like an arrow pointing to an Excel icon.

So, which one do you have?
If you are not sure, please explain the exact steps you used to import the information originally.

Upvote 0
Apologies as you can tell I am new to Access. Everything was going well until I wanted to add this new field.

Ok so what I have done is delete the the excel spreadsheet from Access so now all I have in the table in Access and it seems to have the original data within it, I'm confused.

Upvote 0
Delete all instances of the table in Access and start over.

If you want the data to be linked up to the original Excel file so future changes in the Excel file are reflected, link the file.
If you do not care about that and just want the data in Access, import the file.

Upvote 0
Link makes sense, however this information is already feeding into a form, I didn't set this up but I'm not sure how to re-do it. Could you talk me through what I should do?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachetsely

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back