You know you are an Excel guru when ....

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
...when you see this...<font face=Courier New>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target = 7 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> Target = 4
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>
and the first thing that pops into your head is "he forgot to toggle Application.EnableEvents off and back on" instead of "oh, that would be funny".

That's what I thought. :o

Then there's copying and pasting multi-cell ranges (Type Mismatch error)... :lookaway:

How about:

... you get the 'Jerry Maguire':

I was explaining to a colleague why they don't want to use a '+' operator in an and-type conditional sum with Sumproduct. Just as I was getting warmed up, he said "Nate, please stop; you had me at *". :lol:

NateO said:
...the 'Jerry Maguire'...
Sorta. I took tips from Walkenbach's Excel Charts book and mixed them with a couple of separate chart ideas from Jon Peltier's site, and made a humdinger of a chart (sort of a histogram + waterfall + three-charts-in-one kind of thing) which I thought did a *******jack job of explaining the data succinctly. Only to have my boss tell me he preferred the simple plain-vanilla stacked-column chart that I'd tossed together in 30 seconds as a backup. The "glass-half-full" POV would be that I did learn something new!

Greg Truby said:
...when you see this...<font face=Courier New>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target = 7 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> Target = 4
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>
and the first thing that pops into your head is "he forgot to toggle Application.EnableEvents off and back on" instead of "oh, that would be funny".

That's the very first thing I do when I write event code :laugh:. I probably should stop that; could get me into trouble.

...when you see this...

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target = 7 Then Target = 4
End Sub

Oh, Greg - that's just sad :-( :wink:

When you know all the shortcut keys by heart.

In a related area: When you know all the shortcut keys for the Windows calculator. Example: "Y" is the shortcut key for x^y, which I used to calculate 2^20 (the supposed new number of rows in Excel 12). I was curious how that number rounds to 1.1 million, actually.

Anyone?

...when you can't think of a good one because all the good ones are taken.

...when you set the Mr.Excel.com forum as your home page of your browser

....when you're fighting over who's gets to give the best answer to the OPs questions.

....when you find yourself staying up all night to answer forum questions.

...when you log out of the Mr.Excel forum only to find yourself logging right back in seconds later :huh:

....when you find yourself going back to spreadsheets you created ages ago to change the formulas according to the new things you learned in this forum and get pleasure from seeing them work so nicely.

...when your coworker says "step away from the computer" after seeing you taking a fit over a formula not working right.

You know you are an Excel guru when......
a new book named TheBuGs in Ms Excel by Jazib Iqbal aka TheBuGz and Bill Jelen aka Mr Excel is in the Market

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back