Yay - I just did my first bit of VBA!!!

I can see it all now - a couple years down the road when he is on a development team and the team leader calls a meeting to tell them: "Alright! You people start coding and I'll go see what they want.."

Wonder bout the xxxcitement then? :roll: :-D

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hey all, I am still excited! But it is dead hard. Once i get properly over the first hurdle I think I will be fine. I will be the only person who knows it/sorta knows it, but then I am the only person here who understands what VLOOKUP is.

Onwards and upwards!

Getting a handle on the language can definitely be a hassle.

Like you said, the recorder is a good place to start -- especially once you know how to get rid of the crap afterwards (record a macro to change page orientation, and see what I mean).

Still, the best way to learn is getting your hands dirty -- up to the armpits!

Also, check out the thousands of examples on this site. There's some really cool approaches to solving problems that you can likely adapt, then pick apart to see how they worked.

Good luck!
Denis

Congratulations on getting your feet wet in VBA. As you get some more experience you'll also begin to get a better feel for when to use VBA and when not to. For example - the code you posted? You could also have simply defined a new style and if you wanted customize your Formatting (or some other) toolbar by adding the Style listbox control to it. One of the things I seem to be seeing more frequently on the questions board is posters saying "I need a macro to..." when in fact they don't really need a macro at all.

Again, I don't mean to come across as discouraging! Quite the opposite in fact! You have taken the first steps into a bigger world. Once you start using VBA your possibilities will expand phenominally.

Again, I don't mean to come across as discouraging!

Not at all! Thank you for your advice. I realise that what I did was not really macro worthy, but it was about the simplest thing I could think of that I would use.

Congratulations Patience! That is quite nice to hear your excitement! Keep it up and you'll be learning more than you ever knew. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinHeads

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back