Windows XP

cornflakegirl

My husband has finally convinced me that we need to upgrade from ME to XP. Does anyone know the best (cheapest) place to buy it?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
ME ???!!!!

If you have the performance available I'd advise you just go straight to Vista...given you're running ME perhaps you don't (512 RAM ?)

Obviously getting XP from the high street shops is virtually impossible so you're best bet is probably Amazon ... I was looking to upgrade my XP Home to XP Pro a month or so ago (I wanted IIS) but found it was still pretty expensive ... so would still advise Vista if you can (the extra memory (if required) would be worth it too... RAM is the key!!)

Don't pretend to be shocked, Luke - I've told you before that we're only running ME. It's perfectly adequate ;)

Really Vista? I've heard lots of stuff about it being a bit rubbish - have they fixed all that now?

I'm not sure if we have the requisite RAM - my beloved deals with all that - he does keep buying new bits for the computer though, so there's a fair chance that we do. Or that he could convince me that it was a good investment ;)

I have liked Vista Business, which I have been using probably going on a year and a half now. I loved XP and it took some time to get use to Vista, but now all seems well. As far as RAM, anymore it is very cheap for memory. You should be able to pick up 1 GB of RAM for less than $40 in the states. Not sure what that equates to in the UK. But like Luke said, it would be hard to find XP in the store unless you went to a PC Store that dealt with used or refurbished PC's. Otherwise I would agree with him, by looking on Amazon, eBay or I've always liked newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=windows+xp

Emma, I would suggest to settle down for Windows Vista after 1 full year. I am afraid, you would lose more than half of compatibility after installing Windows Vista. I have experienced this myself and a hell lot of friends regret installing Vista - the buggy OS.

I would only advice you to go in for Windows XP (though the OS is very sensitive - atleast you can enjoy its compatibility features with other softwares - very less bugs if upgraded to SP2). YOu can enjoy all the Hardcore action & strategy games, music and what not ! Moreover, XP is much more widely used whereas Windows Vista is still on testing stages, etc.

Final decision depends on you whether to buy XP or Vista. I just gave my opinion because you posted a thread in the Lounge as a question :)
[removed by Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband has finally convinced me that we need to upgrade from ME to XP. Does anyone know the best (cheapest) place to buy it?
I was recently in the UK and we upgraded (actually replaced) my mother-in-laws computer from Windows 98. On my recommendation we went with XP instead of Vista with no regrets. You may find it hard to get your hands on XP given (I believe) it is not in popular circulation. I'm not sure whereabouts you are but we got XP from PC Paramedics somewhere in Surrey.....sorry, I have forgotten where but I do remember it was on the South-Western train line because I recognised the place from the train (maybe it was Bagshot or Virginia Waters?)

Andrew

Andrew - why did you recommend XP rather than Vista?

I'm in Peterborough, so probably not worth the trek to Surrey - thanks anyway!

I use both. Vista Business on my main PC, XP Pro on another desktop and a laptop.

Vista works fine but I have had some compatibility problems; some of my printer utilities won't install on Vista, even they claim that they are compatible. But one definite piece of advice that comes out of lots of users' experience, is DO NOT upgrade an existing system. Your best bet is a clean install. Anecdotally, and reading a lots of comments in PC mags, the Vista experience is a fairly clean separation between good to excellent (clean install on a new install) to hell on wheels (upgrading an XP installation).

Denis

Emma, two more caveats:

1) Make a list of all the software on your current machine and check with Microsoft AND the software house that that particular version is Vista compatible. I have had a case where we bought a laptop for the office, Vista preinstalled, only to find that our core accounting software went into a sulk and would not talk to Vista at all

2) Ensure all the drivers you will need are available before making the leap. Said machine was a Toshiba with all Vista drivers. When I dowgraded to XP (had to buy one locally - it is available in the shops), the drivers that came with XP were not compatible with the machine.

As I said, XP was bought locally, so if you are interested in getting it from here (I am in Luxembourg) and if the shop does mail order, I could get the details for you.

Finally, after all is said and done, my daughter loves Vista. Try before you buy if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back