Why is same ChangeEvent behaving differently under a different scenario

julhs

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
At moment I can’t get to bottom of it.
WHY;
if I manually insert blank cells into a “NamedRange” that my ChangeEvent calls all the associated call events, JUST the ONCE & Sub will End at command.
But if I manually Copy/Paste/Insert the EXACT same number of cells into EXACT same cells of the “NamedRange”, the same ChangeEvent is being fired TWICE before it will End Sub.

VBA Code:
' Some un-associated ChangeEvent code here.

' More un-associated Change code here
Oh, one other thing. You might think it's unassociated, but it's better to show all code.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I do religious use
VBA Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = False/True
Application.EnableEvents = False/True
in all my coding, they are in my testing code, just not in the one I uploaded because it was only really a portion of the complete one.

However Engberg said; (sorry cant seem to use quote directly)
Did some more testing, it seems to have to do with what Right click > Insert copied cells does. If you record a macro and insert copied cells, you get something like this.
I can only come to the conclusion that Range.Insert does two changes to the sheet in sequence, probably first moving existing values (first Worksheet_Change triggers), and then pasting the new values (Worksheet_Change triggers again).

It got me thinking and I came up with the below as a workaround/solution to prevent the 2nd running of the "Call" events"
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim Lastrow As Long
      Application.ScreenUpdating = False
      Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("ChemicalSuppliersList_Condensed")) Is Nothing Then
      Lastrow = Range("ChemicalSuppliersList_Condensed").Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
            SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    ' Sub initially goes to "Else" and the two "Call" events run
    ' Then will come back to here
If Range("A" & "Lastrow") <> "" 'This re-checks for value AFTER two "Call" events have run
      Application.ScreenUpdating = True
      Application.EnableEvents = True
  Exit Sub
Else
   Call DeletCellsAndFillDown
   Call ReFormatRange
      ' More un-associated change code runs here
      ' Code will now go back to "If Not Intersect"
      ' And because ("A" & "Lastrow") will now be <>"", the code goes to "Exit Sub"
      ' So preventing the two "Call" events from running a second time
  End If
 End If
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Does my explanation and logic make sense?

Upvote 0
I don't really know what all your code does so I don't know if it's a good workaround or not. My thinking is, do you really need to use Right click > Insert copied cells, since this seems to be what is causing the issue?

Upvote 0
Did some more testing, it seems to have to do with what Right click > Insert copied cells does. If you record a macro and insert copied cells, you get something like this.
I can only come to the conclusion that Range.Insert does two changes to the sheet in sequence, probably first moving existing values (first Worksheet_Change triggers), and then pasting the new values (Worksheet_Change triggers again).
As a by the way, what I meant by "That was sort of my thinking" was that, Range("ChemicalSuppliersList_Condensed") was being held in memory somewhere/somehow. What you said gave me a thought and came up with what's in post #11

Upvote 0
I fully except you saying “if it's a good workaround or not”
Ultimately I am just trying to future proof myself, if the sheet IS protected I wouldn’t even be able to insert cell/rows, but if it’s NOT then it will cause issues.
Hope that makes sense?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back