Why does the Xl2007 help suck so much?

snowblizz

Ya'll have to excuse my youthful lingo, but what on earth is with the Excel 07 help?

Am I just too used to the 2003 version? I can hardly make head or tails with the new version. I like to double check the syntax with the help sometimes but I find it almost impossible to get relevant information in 2007.

While in some ways it nice to have my suspicions confirmed that the application help isn't perhaps the most effective one. I am trying to argue that communities such as this is the way to go.

It just seems insane that someone who at least knows HOW and sometimes even WHAT to look for still can't find it.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Are you referring to the main Help or the VBA Help (or both)? The VBA online help used to be the worst thing I'd ever seen but it appears to have changed recently as you can now see the object that the method/property refers to, rather than just a huge list with the method/property name repeated over and over again.
Don't get me started on the MSKB search though - that is worse than useless.

Congrats on ever finding relevant information in a MS Office help-file. '07 is just as bad as '03 and all the others in my experience. There is a reason for me being on this board ya know? ;)

Sorry guys (and gals if you are reading), I did refer to the VBA help in the main.

I often want to check the syntax as I STILL can't figure out why .copy destination:= and .paste, .pastespecial are different, other than "they are" so every time I'm going to help someone or use it, I go "wait, which way did I have to do it again". And if I cobble .copy together for someone they actually wanted a .pastespecial and the darned thing just won't go together again, because the syntax is different. That's when I search the XL help files. And not find anything. Then change the search options to local files (if I'm at school on xl07). And search again and can't really find anything relevant. I think I made a breakthrough today when I realised the *good* answers come on page 2 and not page 1. I just could understand 03 help better than the 07 help, for whatever reason. There's something missing in 07, I just can't put my finger on what it is.

Yes I've been able to source some support from the help files, I did my graduate thesis project with those and some basic internet searching. How I rue not knowing about this place back then. It has indeed been a struggle. Actually it is what has prompted me to investigate the on-line forum as a source of support. I am attempting to prove scientifically a community is a much much better solution.

You may have better luck if you start from the Object Browser.
And at least it's not the Powerpoint help files.

I have a habit of hitting F1 when I mean F2 and I might as well go and make a cup of coffee in the time that it takes the bloody thing to open. I'm with Rory, the VBA help was utterly ridiculous when it first came out but seems to have improved a little. Best thing I found was to switch off to on-line search as it just annoyed me as I need all the help I can get but it pretty much gave me the opposite.

Dom

I have a habit of hitting F1 when I mean F2 and I might as well go and make a cup of coffee in the time that it takes the bloody thing to open.

Man, I hate it when I do that!

As for help I think both Excel & VBA help are relatively useless. 2003 would at least return some results. Now 3/4 of the time I get "Nothing found...Was this information helpful?"

Has anyone else's online help gone to he11 in a handwagon today? True, it's usually rather useless. But today everytime I've been in the Object Browser and hit F1 to look up something or other, my help is actually failing. All day I've been getting:

This page is unavailable
The page you are looking for is unavailable. Try the following:
And then I have to use the offline help (not that I'm fussing, 'cause online help ain't noticably better). I'm just wondering if the guy in charge of online help is off on another drinking binge or sumpin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cami_dev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back