Which version of Office should I buy.

I don't recall whether 2007 has this issue. Anyway, 2010 does not show the 1:n relations in the query grid as 2003 or earlier versions did. Also, from .mdb to .accdb conversion is not obvious...

I've run into that too, and I think that it's based on actually setting up relationships, which oddly enough aren't supported in SQL Server migrations.

But ashamedly, I know little about the finer points of Access, so I'd love to hear more.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I've run into that too, and I think that it's based on actually setting up relationships, which oddly enough aren't supported in SQL Server migrations.

But ashamedly, I know little about the finer points of Access, so I'd love to hear more.

The point is that the one-to-many relationships are all established via Database Tools | Relationships. When the related tables are used in the query grid the usual display of pre-2007 (most of the time) is gone.

I've seen no problems with relationships appearing in the query view grid (QBE?) in Access 2010.

You get the little 1 next to the field on the one side of the relationship and ∞ next to the field on the many side.

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

I had Access 2010 crash on me (repeatedly) when using a query with a subquery that could not be displayed in the query-by-design grid -- the kind of query that should simply give you a message "Access cannot graphically display this query". That was enough for me. I re-installed Office 2007, which is my current "home base".

Edit: Note that if I didn't use Access, I *would* prefer Excel 2010. :cool:

Last edited:
It is possible to install both Office 2007 and 2010 on the same machine, isn't it? If so, you could use Excel 2010 and Access 2007.

It is possible to install both Office 2007 and 2010 on the same machine, isn't it?

You can, but you have to install them sequentially, if you try to install an older version on top of a new version you can have problems. Although the best method is to use a Virtual Machine. Microsoft's Virtual PC is free, so there's no barrier to entry for that. Just note that it doesn't support Windows 8 at this time. ;)

I have Excel 2003, Office 2007, and Excel 2010 installed, and they all run fine.

No Access of any version installed. It is, to me, the monster that lurks under a child's bed, ready to drag them into a life of pain, shame, depravation, and perfidy.

shg

You don't have Access installed at all?

OK! OK! I have Access 2007 installed with Office.

But I swear I've never used it, except maybe once, and even then, I didn't inhale.

You don't know what you're missing.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back