Where should I target my Excel development?

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Richard,

I am far from a career counsellor. But you might consider inverting the question. Rather than asking "what skills am I lacking in Excel" and adding those and then picking career options; perhaps you'd be better served by asking what direction you wanna head and then listing any skills you feel you need to acquire to get there.

And FWIW, I'd agree with Andrew. You are way beyond the skills of most Excel users, including all of the Finance people I know. Indeed, you may find that your technical skills only need some minor tweaking (if any) and that you need to work on other "soft skills" like managing people in order to get to the career goal you envision.

Of course, I'm not saying that I alway practice what I just preached. Unless one is being forced into a fork in the road the tendency is to just roll along down the highway and I'm as prone to that complacency as the next guy...

HTH

Greg

I appreciate the thoughtful words - I think you make a very important point about the direction I wish to head in. I think I probably shied away from looking at my situation from that perspective because it is inherently more difficult, and could no doubt point me towards some tough, unpalatable and downright uncomfortable decisions (there are good reasons why accountants are seen as boring people doing boring jobs).

Richard

Richard

Firstly either I'm ignorant or stupid (could be both), but where has parsnip gone?

Secondly, on your development front, I can only tell what I have done. I quit my job as a salesman after 4 years because 1) I was rubbish at it and 2) I hated it.
So I was at a crossroads and thought 'I have about 40 years of work ahead of me, I may as well do something I like'. I have a fairly good head for numbers, so literally thought 'I'll be an accountant'.

I signed up for CIMA, and set about getting a job at company who would fund me. I ended up at one where my job was to produce weekly MI, all on Excel.

I improved the existing process by creating macros and then in the last 18 months have taght myself to use Access and now produce all MI from there. Now my company wants to move to SQL server and I'm probably going to have to learn that as well. I am now the only one in the company who knows how it all works and get rewarded for it.

So, for your situation, I would have to agree with others who say that you are certainly an excel power user. You've helped me, and I've seen other posts of yours proving as much. If you have an understanding of SQL in whatever form; access, server, VI etc, then you will already have an impressive CV.

Trying to decide what software to learn will be almost impossible as there is so much out there, chances are you'll have to learn something new wherever you end up. I guess you have a thirst for knowledge and 'knowing it all' would bore you anyway?

My advice would initially be to decide what you want to do. Maybe a DB developer, consultant, accountant...
Once you are set down that path then you can look for a company to match - and hopefully become the big fish in the pond. Even if you aren't initially, you keep developing until you are...

i've kind of prattled on now, so good luck Richard. Its not nice being made redundant, but does open up a whole world of new possibilities.

Hi Gingerafro

You're not stupid, nor ignorant: I requested my handle be changed to my real name - I thought this might be useful in case I wanted my postings on this board to serve as a demonstration of my competence with Excel eg to a potential employer.

I think what you say is true, and I think there is definite great value in being an accountant who knows IT (or some of it, anyway) - especially since I've been in so many situations where the accountants/finance staff have been good, the IT people have been good, but the systems implemented by the IT people for the accountants are downright crappy, because there's been no-one who combined both sets of skills and could therefore appreciate the challenges and requirements faced by each side and thus suggest timely solutions over the development and implementation phase.

I can recommend downloading SQL Server Express (it's free) from MS, if your company will be moving in that direction - it will give you a good heads up on how SQl Server works.

Richard

Hi Richard

Its funny you should say about SQL Sever Express. My boss doesn't want me to spend time creating the new DB, becasue he thinks its a job for IT. But the IT people are crap and don''t know the first thing about DB. So the solution is to hire a consultant at the princely sum of £400 per day for 10 days. Hmmmm.

So I have downloaded SQL express with VBE at home, and am in the process of creating the DB. Once done, I shall offer what I have done at a mutually beneficial price. If they are not interested, at least I've learned something.

ps. I hope your PC is working OK now, I followed your post and bought a Dell with a 920DC, 2GB DDR and its lovely for doing the above. I was trying to do it on a P3 with 256RAM!!!

Richard,

This post may be a bit stale now but how'd you go? Like Greg said, the fork in the road can make for some interesting choices. I agree with the overall thrust of this thread: You've got no problems passing yourself off as an Excel guru in most company, and with some database skills combined with your accounting, that's a seriously useful package.

Mark mentioned doing some training and it's not a bad idea. When I did my fork over 8 years back, I decided that I was more interested in analysing data and solving problems than working as a lab researcher so I started a training business with the medium term aim of becoming a consultant. I learned heaps doing the trainnig, got exposed to a whole bunch of questions and problems that I hadn't encountered before, and made some very useful contacts. On the back of those contacts I went into consultancy full time. Haven't stopped learning, and probably never will, but I am now being rewarded for taking the risk.

Whichever path you choose (or chose), best of luck

Denis

Thanks Denis

I currently expect to remain in my present job for probably another year (after which, following the takeover of my company, the job may well not exist). I've been trying to determine what, in my current job, I enjoy and what I'm good at (sadly, not necessarily the same things!) and thus decide on what the most successful path for me to take could be. I really enjoy the programming side of what I do with Excel (especially when you extend Excel's functionality by linking it up with external data sources) but because I'm purely self-taught, I thought it might be a good idea to attempt to get a more solid grounding in a 'real' programming language (I am not disparaging VBA in any way (or indeed VB) but I would like exposure to a lower level language) and so am doing some reading and practicing with C. This may not lead anywhere, but I enjoy the time I put in.

On a more practical level, I have to ensure that whatever I do continues to pay the mortgage and keeps the kids fed&clothed (the little blighters keep growing after all!). This is a problem (for everyone else as well, I am sure!) because I know what my earnings power is in my current career/roles, and would almost certainly find it difficult to replicate if I moved outside of my field.

I think a potential solution may be for me to try and enter more IT-related roles within the accountancy field as a first step, which would hopefully make any transition to a fully IT-centric role easier (and who knows, I may decide that I love my debits and credits so much that I don't want to leave 'em behind!).

Richard

Hi Richard,

Good to hear that you have a bit of breathing space before decision time -- at least that way they don't get made for you!

Once a bean counter, always a bean counter, but like you said there are a lot of combined finance / IT roles out there. Somebody else said, at least one specific and one generic skill keeps you employable.

I'm also looking at expanding my skills a bit. Starting to look at VSTO, the new .NET way of writing for Office, but that's down the road a bit. At least one of the C variants (C#) works in with VSTO, so some understanding of the language structure would be useful for me too... Also some XML because that seems to be becoming a de facto data standard.

Cheers
Denis

Mark, consultancy of some kind is certainly a possible future career option - a little way down the line though, I think. I feel I could do with more hands on experience and deeper knowledge before I consider going that route.

Then in another post...

but the systems implemented by the IT people for the accountants are downright crappy, because there's been no-one who combined both sets of skills

I hate to break it to you, but if I had to make a bet, I'd bet that you have what it takes to be a consultant (and I've seen so many poor consultants, you couldn't do any worse!!!!).

Question I think that is important and that has already been asked, what do YOU want to do?

Personally, I think you need to move out of the "accountancy" framework. Leverage that for your next "career" move, but one doesn't generally make a good deal of money in "accountancy" (6 figures plus). If you consult leveraging off your accountancy skills, then it's possible to make a nice bit of dough. There are so many things you could do from IT/accounting integration/reporting.... Purchasing analysis, backoffice operations workflow...

The thing is, IT people in general are a dime a dozen. People who know how to implement and use IT for productive purposes are few and far between.

In any event, you've got things well in hand. You have a good expectation of your short term future and you are setting yourself up for a transition, I think whatever you do you'll be okay, just don't sell yourself short!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolonG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back