Where is Seiya?

Where can I look up what dictionary means?
begging.gif

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
That's a better question than you might think. Is 'dictionary' a misnomer?

Diction, is all about how to say/ pronounce words or the words that you say or pronounce.

A dictionary is a list of all words, with their meaning/ description, whether you choose to say or pronounce them or not.

So, should a dictionary really be called a Wordary?

Diction is just another word from the same root as dictionary, the latin dictio, speaking. So dictionary is not just concerned with pronunciation, it is concerned with speaking, and we use words to speak, so it is the store of speaking/words.

The thing I always found interesting about a dictionary is that because it uses words to describe other words it's only useful if you know at least some words. If you didn't know any words at all, it wouldn't help you. So it doesn't really add knowledge so much as it multiplies it.

I think if you want to get the "No Words" crowd you are going to need a video display.

:laugh:

Isn't one of the main parts of a dictionary the bit that explains how to pronounce the words it lists?

Isn't one of the main parts of a dictionary the bit that explains how to pronounce the words it lists?

And how would that suggest that dictionary has a meaning based upon pronunciation?

The thing I always found interesting about a dictionary is that because it uses words to describe other words it's only useful if you know at least some words. If you didn't know any words at all, it wouldn't help you. So it doesn't really add knowledge so much as it multiplies it.

I think if you want to get the "No Words" crowd you are going to need a video display.

:laugh:

In that case, you don't need a dictionary, just a cave!

I always use lexicons, so I never run into any of the aforementioned problems.

Alex

are we talking about the 'Dictionary' that Seiya use often in code:nervous:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back