MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Well, I decided to change my username. While I was once (for quite a while) firefytr, my username was changed to Zack Barresse, my real name. I decided to do this for a couple reasons, 1) transparency, and 2) I don't feel the need to hide behind an online moniker anymore. It seems the need grows less and less each day. After all, I do have my name in my signature.

I was wondering what everyone thought of it. Do you agree with having usernames as actual names? Do you prefer the online moniker? If so, why? I'm curious as to everyones thoughts. :cool:

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
zack

I always use my real name, well first name anyway.

Reason being is it's short and seems to be a little unusual, don't know why mind you.:eek:

So when signing up for things I don't often get prompted to change it to norie3243243 or similar.:)

I'm just a big fan of anonymity on the 'net.

I'd never use my real name or post my photo as an avatar. :)

Thanks Norie. Appreciate the feedback. :)

Mark, or whatever your real name is Mr. O'Brien, I'm quite certain that picture looks nothing like you in real life!

My first name isn't all that uncommon, but the last name is unusual. It would be fairly easy for someone to find where I live, work, etc., if I decided to use my last name.

There are a bunch of wackos :eeek: out there, and I'd rather they don't know how to find me. Of course, more than a few are my relatives and they already know where I live. :rolleyes:

Good point Tina, and this did cross my mind. (I'm not a total idiot .. usually.) These days if you want to be found by someone, you'll be found. I think I'm more prone to this in lieu of my emergency services work. We are "public officials" as quoted by the government. This binds us to certain obligations and right-to-know information. If somebody came into my fire station and asked for the names of every employee in the district, we would have to comply and give it to them. Why? Because we fall into that "public officials" category, which is all right-to-know information. Now they cannot give out our home address, SSN, phone number, etc, but our names are free reign. I dunno, maybe I'm just more prone to disclosing that information because of my position. So, maybe it is just me.. :rolleyes:

I like anonymity! That's why I use "lenze" for my username. My real name is "Lenze"

lenze

Through school and work I've always been assigned Schielrn for first six of last name (Schiele) first initial of first and middle name (Robert Nicholas). Its been easier to remember one user name accross everything I do.

I don't mind my picture and name out there because for one it is sort of like networking and you never know who might see it and something good may come of it. But it could also be co-workers or bosses seeing it and saying I spend too much time on here, but this site has provided me with more help and useful information for my job then anything else, so they can't really say too much.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that. And after I was starting to get your handle right slightly more than half the time! (I could never remember: "fyrfighter"? Or "firefytr"? And would have to look it up).

As for your question - I think it can go either way. Sometimes I think that a good handle can be more one's "true name" than that which kinship rules and your parents' seemingly arbitrary selection assigned you. I cannot imagine a better name for Von Pookie than "Von Pookie". It just seems to fit. Likewise I've seen other excellent handles.

I might use one myself. But my problem is that when I am staring at that blank registration screen I cannot come up with any thing clever or at least nothing clever enough that I would want to live with my decision for the rest of my time as a member of that particular site. My name is rare enough (AFAIK there are only two on earth) that I cannot hide by using it; as compared to say Bob Smith or David Jones. With that name you could use your name and still be effectively anonymous. So it is possible that some day using my real name will bite me in the bum.

I do wish that spammers would use their real names (and addresses) so we could return the love. :diablo:

As for "Mark O'Brien", I always just figured his real name was "Dave Hawley". :lol:

Last edited:
Evaluating the advantages & risks to go on the internet with your real name, is a personal decision.
I prefer to die without secrets :)

It's easy to find me when you google.
Nevermind, I'm not rich (only talking about material things): so no problem if you find me ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GunsofBrixton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back