What is your Concentration Music?

MrKowz

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
When you are knees deep in VBA and Excel, what music do you like to listen to that you find helps you think?

For myself... anything and everything Pink Floyd. Especially "Money", "See Emily Play", "Time", "Comfortably Numb", and "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict"

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
For me it is whatever is on my ipod which is all sorts of music.

Basically, I just need to drown out all of the background chatter.

Often silence, with the aide of ear plugs helps me. Otherwise piano or some classical music works for me.

Normally silence, aided by headphones that play nothing and muffle some of the noise. I often wonder what my co-workers would think if they knew my headphones had nothing playing on them. I am privately amused by their attempts to get my attention by speaking my name repeatedly and loudly even though I can hear them just fine. :stickouttounge:

I work in an environment where nearly 30 very chatty people are within earshot. Since I have not found a way to tell 30 people to simultaneously shut up, still have a job and be liked by my coworkers, anything I can do to discourage receiving noise helps. And I will remove the headphones to talk with anyone who calls to me or approaches my cube. I am not anti-social, I just like to focus on the job at hand.

Having said that, there are times when silence (or muffled sound) is not on my desired menu for the day. But chit-chat other than my own is never on my desired sounds list so, particularly on Fridays, Pandora allows me to further filter out the chit-chat by listening to everything from Classical to Punk, New Wave and even some more modern stuff (c. 2000+). I like some of the current pop stuff as well. (I think that music contains a musical version of whatever it is that they put in McDonald's beef to make you like it.) My kids often direct me to music that they think I would like. They are 21 and 23 years old, so you can guess from some of that...

I find any style of music enjoyable, with some exceptions. I don't like screaming, cussing or any genre of music whose name contains words that rhyme with "cr4p".

Ok, ok, I know someone is going to say, "No screaming or cussing, but he listens to Punk?" Well ok, then...99.9% of the time I don't like screaming or cussing in my music. There's a time and place for everything.

I find some mashups to be entertaining. "Boink Bonk/Tik Tok" is a current gamer/pop mashup that I think is pretty amusing. Unfortunately, once you hear it you can't get it out of your head. I have some of that kind of stuff at home. Google it if you are a gamer and think it might be amusing. It's on YouTube.

And Pink Floyd is always on the play list for me.

I go with either arkusM or MrKowz sentiments exactly.
Sometimes silence and the rest of the time anything Pink Floyd - along with a healthy dose of Joe Walsh, Alan Parsons, Chris Rea, maybe some Lou Reed or Humble Pie...

(And if they ever told me I couldn't have music at work... well, then I must've had Lost For Words turned up too loud for me to hear 'em...) :)

Anything Pink Floyd. Classic Rock works but so does Classical Music too

Ministry, or New Model Army, usually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back