what is the best way to learn excel?

The OP asked for somethng he could observe as thats how he finds it easier to learn. The help files in Excel tell you some stuff, but they don't always show you the "everyday" use for how some of these things work. And unless you know something about Excel, some of the explanations for some of the functions wouldn't pass a plain English test.

I wasn't suggesting the OP needed to know about array layouts or syntax but he would see a practical display on how to use them and also if he wanted to combine more than one function.

The videos on you tube and the Mr Excel podcasts, which are also videos, show you practical uses for Excel and also the various ways of utilising or trimming down formulas.

The quality of the videos are Excelent and from absolute beginner to advanced Maths and Stats analysis, most subjects are covered. You could learn more about formatting in one 10 minute video than you'd learn from reading chapters and chapters of helpfiles. All visual and understandable from 2 of the best Excel teachers on the planet. Its like having your own private tutor!

Obviously we've all learned what we know about Excel in different ways, but the OP did ask for something he could watch and learn from

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Best way that I learn, so take with a grain of salt, is to having some task that I want to accomplish, then push the limits of what I already know, when I get stuck: ask how to get from where you are to where you want to be.

My #1 tool is a creative imagination, mixed with some analytical skills because there is always more then one way to accomplish something. Places like this are the #2 tool to learn because of the feedback loop inherent here. Books/podcasts/video a close third only because they are generic tools that often require background knowledge to be able to apply to the particular situation (See #1)

This works for me, there are many other learning types out there so this is not the only way to learn.

Again cheers to those who have helped me out here so many times.:beerchug:

I'm with WaterGypsy on this. Even if you did learn about array formulae before you needed it, you'd forget it by the time you did need it. At least that's how my brain works, anyway.
Create your own personal reference library then you don't have to try to remember everything.

There's entirely too much to remember to begin with!

For example, you need to do a lookup based on multiple conditions. Once you have the formula you need working create a sample file of the same and put it in a folder with other sample files that demonstrate other tasks.

Next time you need to do a lookup with multiple conditions and you're not real sure of the formula syntax just check your library files to see if you have a sample file that demonstrates the task.

I'm pretty sure that all advanced users do this. Especially for complex tasks. There's just too much stuff to remember!

Related:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451468

i tend to hunt out a code block that does something like what i am trying to achieve and make intelligent(?) changes to see how it works (or fails dismally).

but i would not do this if i was a beginner (no disrespect), who does not have programming or algorithm design experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back