What is 2 + 2?

there is a simple fact
(almost) everybody on earth received a number of fingers equal to
Ahhh, but what about the Indian child recently born with 26 fingers & toes? He could reinvent the whole system...:)

Smitty

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
andrew93 said:
...Actually, 2 + 2 can equal 10, 11, 100 or even 1111. -A

OK, Andrew, show me. :wink: I get 10 (base 4) and 11 (base 3). But 100 or 1111? 100 would be binary but "2+2" implies that the numeric "2" is valid; so binary is out. And 1111? That one really intrigued me...

Guess I was wrong about the "recently born" part.

That's what I get for listening to NCR. ;)

Smitty

From the Guinness site.
Code:
At an inquest held on a baby boy at Shoreditch in the East End of London, UK, on September 16, 1921, it was reported that he had 14 fingers and 15 toes.

what if you have a baby with two heads and niether can agree what 2+2 = ?

On a completely unrealted topic, I just hat to share this (and yes it is a true story - it did not happen to a "friend").

A girl at work asked for help with the fax machine, so I went to it with her and asked her to show me what she was doing.

She put in the paper to be faxed, dialled the number and pressed the "send" button. Through it went.

I said "So what's the problem?"

She held up the papaer and said "But it's still here!"

Greg Truby said:
OK, Andrew, show me. :wink: I get 10 (base 4) and 11 (base 3). But 100 or 1111? 100 would be binary but "2+2" implies that the numeric "2" is valid; so binary is out. And 1111? That one really intrigued me...

For the answer of 100, the question is in decimal but the answer is in base 2 (cheating I know ;) )

As for the 1111 - that's using base 1 for the answer. "Base 1?" I hear you ask. That's a recent invention of mine - each position of n has the value 1^n (which equals 1). Quite nifty but it can only be used for small numbers. :-D

Cheers, Andrew

tactps said:
A girl at work asked for help with the fax machine, so I went to it with her and asked her to show me what she was doing.
She put in the paper to be faxed, dialled the number and pressed the "send" button. Through it went.
I said "So what's the problem?"
She held up the paper and said "But it's still here!"

Even a blonde should know that a fax machine first takes a photocopy and sends that over to the other machine! :-P

And about the 2+2 thing, my Italian boss would say:
I'll makey a gooda price for you.
I canna sella this 2 + 2 for a
fiver.
I'ma loosing the money on that, but you ara my frienda...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back