What are your favorite keyboard short cuts?

That sounds very nice and have not used this shortcut before. I don't have many sheets that are linked to other workbooks, but I will definitely have to try this one out and see how it works, but I do not have many buried links, but this may come in handy for a spreadsheet I am actually about to take over.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I have to add a comment on my favorite Ctrl+[ shortcut.

If you are like me and work with spreadsheets that are linked to other spreadsheets and those are linked, etc. and all are buried in several levels of folders, then this is a real time saver.

To to look at those linked files I used to Ctrl+O and navigate over several folders to find one of the spreadsheets I needed. This task was repeated for each of our business sectors and took mucho time. I actually dreaded wading through all those folders just to refresh my memory, or double check a source. That's not the worst of it. Then once I found the source spreadsheet and opened it, I had to return to the original formula to see what sheet within the linked workbook was referenced and then what cell(s) were being referenced. These spreadsheets I'm linked to are massive and that alone took what seemed to be forever.

The beauty with this two stroke short cut is it does all that wading for me and almost instantly finds the workbook and opens to the sheet and cells referenced. Brill!

Another way to do this is to go to Tools, Options and Edit tab and untick the Edit Directly in Cell box. Then you can double click the cell and it'll go to the linked cell too.

NOTE: It goes to the first one in the cell, so if you have a formula that's =A1+'cell in another work book', change it to ='link in another work book' + A1.

I can't believe no one mentioned my favorites: ctrl+z and ctrl+y. I'm famous for screwing things up and undo and redo have saved me many embarassing episodes.

I use ctrl+; daily, too.

I use Ctrl + Shift + "+" and Ctrl + "-" a lot.

Kudos and these as there are some I was unaware of so will have to had them to my memory cells.

All of the above, with exception of Ctrl+D which almost never works well for me. I much prefer keyboarding to mouseketeering for something.

I'm surpised no one has mentioned Ctrl+Spacebar and Shift+Spacebar.

@ Audrey, it took me a second to get your first one, I don't use the SHIFT key because I just reach over to the "+" sign in the numeric keypad with my pinkie. But yeah, I use Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- all the time. Ctrl+F4 to close a window is a favorite.

@ Lenze, one of things that irritates me the most about Excel 2007 is that they did away with the SHIFT boost on the buttons. 'cuz I too use that trick all the time on font size, align left, indent and increase decimals buttons so I can cram more buttons on toolbars.

@ Audrey, it took me a second to get your first one, I don't use the SHIFT key because I just reach over to the "+" sign in the numeric keypad with my pinkie. But yeah, I use Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- all the time. Ctrl+F4 to close a window is a favorite.

yeah I put that in because one day I told a user to press Ctrl + and nothing happened, because they were using the one on the alpha board and not the key pad. And I thought it would take to long to explain if he wanted to use that one he needed to use Shift. So now I've explained and you see how long that takes. :biggrin:

I guess I'm a throwback to having learned first on Lotus, so I use / driven shortcuts for almost everything.

A number of goodies in this thread that I will have to try. Others I always use are:
Ctrl+PageUp
Ctrl+PageDown
Ctrl+End
Ctrl+Home

A

A number of goodies in this thread that I will have to try. Others I always use are:
Ctrl+PageUp
Ctrl+PageDown
Ctrl+End
Ctrl+Home

A

DOH! Yup, use those all the time too. Also Ctrl+. after having done Ctrl+* or Ctrl-A.

BTW, what is that sig of yours about? Disk storage flowchart symbol or something?

BTW, what is that sig of yours about? Disk storage flowchart symbol or something?
It is ASCII art.....look at it without thinking about computers.......:)

P.S. There you go again! Hijacking another thread.....:lol:

The other useful tip is Ctrl+Tab which cycles through the workbooks open under the active Excel session.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back