Vlookup failing - it's gotta be me

PattiButche

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am experiencing a problem with vlookup that is.. frustrating me. I admit that my primary skillset is not in excel, but I thought I knew what I was doing. But I'm struggling to understand what might be causing this and I hope someone can point out something obvious that I'm just not seeing.

Super simple chart....
1726780824780.png

Super simple vlookup formula:
=VLOOKUP(B7,A2:C5,3)

Is it me? Am I tired? Why would this look up the KIWI entry, and then return $37? why am I getting $13? It's gotta be me. What super obvious problem am I overlooking or failing to understand?
Why would I get 13 (for apple) and not 37 for kiwi?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Book1
ABC
2Apple 13
3Orange8
4Pear20
5Kiwi37
7Kiwi
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B8B8=VLOOKUP(B7,$A$2:$C$5,3,0)

You need the ,0 or FALSE for an exact match, VLOOKUP defaults to TRUE or 1 for an approximate match if you omit it

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution
Book1
ABC
2Apple 13
3Orange8
4Pear20
5Kiwi37
7Kiwi
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B8B8=VLOOKUP(B7,$A$2:$C$5,3,0)

You need the ,0 or FALSE for an exact match, VLOOKUP defaults to TRUE or 1 for an approximate match if you omit it
Thank you for confirming. I'm going to pick up the project again tomorrow (after I get some sleep!) and practice again. For my understanding; does this formula - when NOT set to exact - randomly select a row to display? or is there a logical reason behind the information it retrieves? I can understand my assumption that vlookup was pulling the EXACT row of the resulting hit was at fault here. But as I tested, it on various tables, it kept giving me consistent results (same answer over and over), but not in any pattern could decipher. I just want to understand... how would vlookup be used if not for an exact match? I want to better understand how /why would use this formula.

Upvote 0
An approximate match is the next largest value in the range that is less than your lookup value if an exact match for your look up value isn't found, and the left hand column of the reference range must be sorted .

how would vlookup be used if not for an exact match? I want to better understand how /why would use this formula
Example

Book1
ABCDEFGH
1Student name scoreGradeReference table
2Joe Bloggs57DScoreGrade
30F
445E
550D
665C
780B
890A
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=VLOOKUP(B2,$G$3:$H$8,2,TRUE)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An approximate match is the next largest value in the range that is less than your lookup value if an exact match for your look up value isn't found, and the left hand column of the reference range must be sorted .

Example

Book1
ABCDEFGH
1Student name scoreGradeReference table
2Joe Bloggs57DScoreGrade
30F
445E
550D
665C
780B
890A
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=VLOOKUP(B2,$G$3:$H$8,2,TRUE)
Thank you Mark! I am deeply appreciative of you helping unravel the assumptions I was operating under. Thank you for the clarifications. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
androidmj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back