Venting!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Some of my colleagues center each and every cell in the spreadsheet. And I can't talk them out of it.
It drives me nuts.
1) Correct response to that is when they hit problems is to send it back to them saying you aren't touching it:laugh:

2) A less correct response is if "1)" really isn't possible is to run the "Unmerge_CenterAcross" macro someone wrote a while back on the sheet (afraid I can't remember who wrote it). If you haven't got it I can repost it for you.
It un-merges the cells and then centres the text horizontally across the cell.

P.S. Option 1 is far and away the better option in my opinion:biggrin:

by accident left the screenupdating on (I think actually they are fascinated watching the flicker).

Hehe, yes I have seen first-hand that users are happier to giggle and watch flickering for some unnecessary 'select every row' loop rather than have the actions performed instantly in memory and go on to the next task.

Curse merged cells!
Clean up your recorded code!
Centering hinders data type identification and makes it HARDER to read!

:mad2:

"Unmerge_CenterAcross" macro
It un-merges the cells and then centres the text horizontally across the cell.
I didn't mean merged cells that are centered but single cells that are centered.
You get that terrible zigzag pattern.

Another bad habit is opening about ten to twenty workbooks on Monday morning and closing them on Friday afternoon - thus leaving them constantly open.
To let someone else edit those workbooks, they are shared.

I didn't mean merged cells that are centered but single cells that are centered.
You get that terrible zigzag pattern.
I am happy now. Something in this thread where I can say well at least my lot don't do that...YET

Okay, I just remembered another thing. It's not Excel, but it bugs the heck out of me and I watched someone do it (yet again :mad:) yesterday at work.

Why on earth can people not get it through their thick skulls that you do not have to type the desired address into the google search first?:confused:

I have seen people go to google, type an address into the search and then click on the link when the results come up. Why not just type it into the address bar?

i install the google toolbar for my customers and set startup page to about:blank

i am amazed at the number of people who either type google.com and then when it loads do their search, or complain that they want google as their homepage, so they can wait for it to load exactly the same functionality that is already in the toolbar in front of them. :banghead:

Okay, I just remembered another thing. It's not Excel, but it bugs the heck out of me and I watched someone do it (yet again :mad:) yesterday at work.

Why on earth can people not get it through their thick skulls that you do not have to type the desired address into the google search first?:confused:

I have seen people go to google, type an address into the search and then click on the link when the results come up. Why not just type it into the address bar?

We had a vendor doing a sales pitch and displaying his website functionality to the entire engineering team a couple of years ago. To get to *HIS OWN COMPANY'S* website, he typed the company name into google search. And then dithered about which result to click.

I don't think that he works for that company any more.

Yep, you guys are correct in your comments......now go down to the local TAFE and have a look at the "how to use the Internet" classes....Want to find your own company ?...do a google search.
That's what the govt makes us / them teach the users.
I tried to change the study notes and lesson structure some years ago at my TAFE and was very quickly put in my place. It was pointed out that these notes and lessons are compiled by professionals and they are the best they can be !!!

Well... if the notes can't be updated they definitely ARE the best they can be ('cause they will never be otherwise)! Set in stone.

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back