VBA - Range Clear Contents And Copy And Paste From Different Worksheet Not Working

DR RENO

Board Regular
Still rather new with VBA, but this problem as me feeling like I've regressed to day 1. I have a worksheet (Historicals) that I'm clearing contents from so that I can copy another worksheet and 'Paste Special' back on 'Hypotheticals' sheet. I'm trying to accomplish this via a range, A1:M1036, because I have different formulas in Historicals columns N to U, but when macro runs it pastes over N through U with formulas from other sheet. Tried several different modifications, but end up with the same result. I started to wonder if there was some hidden code that I forgot about and needed to check for, but that is not the case.

If someone could point out this obvious simple fix, I would be eternally grateful. And so would the wall that I keep banging my head against :)

Code:
 Sub CopyPaste_Historicals()

Dim lLR As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheets("Hypotheticals").Cells.ClearContents
Worksheets("Hypotheticals").Range("A1:M10360").Clear

With Sheets("CAR Open Contract")
    lLR = .Range("A1:M" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        .UsedRange.Copy

End With

With Sheets("Hypotheticals").Range("A1")

.PasteSpecial _
        Paste:=xlPasteAll, _
        Operation:=xlNone, _
        SkipBlanks:=False, _
        Transpose:=False
End With

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Last edited:
DR RENO

Would be interested to know what didn't meet what is required.
It seems to me that the macro per post # 5 should do what you want.

Runtime Error 1004
Cannot complete operation: A table cannot overlap with a Pivot Table report, query results, a table, merged cell, or an XML mapping.

Both of these sheets contain essentially the same table. One is current day system data, and the destination sheet takes that to create a prior day. The current day will be populated via pull from the db which allows me to get a day on day change.

FYI, I tried to incorporate your post to vcoolio, which is definitely a valid concern because the Hypothetical sheet could have more rows, but I'm getting a 'RUNTIME ERROR 424 OBJECT REQUIRED' which is what I'm currently trying to figure out. By the way this macro is being ran from a UserForm in case that could issues. Here is my current code:
Code:
Sub CopyPaste_Historicals()

Dim lr As Long
         Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = Sheets("Hypotheticals") '----> Check  the sheet name spelling to match exactly with the tab name.
         Dim sh As Worksheet: Set sh = Sheets("Car Open Contract") '---->  Check the sheet name spelling to match exactly with the tab name.
         lr = sh.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

sh.Range("A1:M" & lr).Copy
        ws.[A1 & lr].PasteSpecial xlValues

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Can't comment further without knowing the structure and content of your sheets.

Re the "current code", replace this :
Code:
With this :
Code:
sh.Range("A1:M" & lr).Copy ws.[A1]

Upvote 0
Can't comment further without knowing the structure and content of your sheets.

Re the "current code", replace this :
Code:
With this :
Code:
sh.Range("A1:M" & lr).Copy ws.[A1]
Your replacement code gave me a runtime error of 1004.

My code originally worked fine, but since it is pasting the entire sheet to Hypotheticals, I needed to shorten the range because I put in modified some formulas in Hypotheticals. So what was happening is the copy paste ends up overwriting my modified formula. Since my origin sheet (Car open contract) columns A:M are system generated values and N:V are columns that I have input formulas, my thought was if I shorten the range to A1:M it would leave the columns in Hypothetical sheet with formulas in tact. It seems like it's really close and vcoolio's formula essentially does just that. The only thing though is as you noted, if Car Open Contract sheet has less rows than Hypothetical sheet, I will not have a 1:1 relationship between sheets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your replacement code gave me a runtime error of 1004.
Can't see why that happens. It is the same as vcoolio's code (which you say works), except that it pastes all (like your original code) instead of just values.

Regarding the number of rows, can you not just add a line at the beginning of the macro to clear the contents of "Hypotheticals" column A:M ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWahl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back