VBA - entering a formula without calculating it

Damian86

Hi all,

When I enter an array formula via vba, for example something like this,...:

Code:
Range("C5").Select
For Count = 1 To MyVariable - 1
With ActiveCell
.FormulaArray = "=SUM(IF(((Płatności!C[-1])=R[" & -3 - Count & "]C[0])*((Płatności!C[1]) _
=""DokHandlowe"")*((Płatności!C[13])>=RC[-2])*((Płatności!C[13])<r[1]c[-2]),płatności!c[10]))"
Code:
.Offset(1, 0).Select
End With
Next Count<r[1]c[-2]),płatności!c[10]))"

... Excel seems to calculate each formula after inserting it. As you can see, the array formula checks 4 conditions from another sheet so it takes quite a long time when I have 6 similar formulas and MyVariable is 10. It takes about 45-60 seconds on my 2.2 x 2 processor. It even calculates the inserted formulas with the Application.Calculation method set to xlCalculationManual.

So my question is:
Is there a way to insert the formula without calculating it? I calculate the whole sheet by the Sheets("name").calculate method so calculating it beforehand is pointless.
I think about giving an apostrophe before each formula and then delete all apostrophes but something tells me it is a way around and there must be a better solutuion.</r[1]c[-2]),płatności!c[10]))"

PS. I'm sorry for breaking the code in two but the forum wouldn't show the entire code in one <code>.
</code></r[1]c[-2]),płatności!c[10]))"

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I can't read your formula properly so check my suggestion first before running, but you could try:
Code:
' Lines below turn off calculation mode and screen updating
With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
End Sub

For Count = 1 To MyVariable - 1
    Range ("C" & 4 + Count).FormulaArray = "=SUM(IF(((Platnosci!C[-1])=R(" & -3 - Count & "]C[0])*((Platnosci!C[1]) _
                                            =""DokHandlowe"")*((Platnosci!C[13]) > = RC[-2])*(({Platnosci!C[13])"
Next Count

' This line forces the sheet Range("C5") is on to do full calculation whilst the workbook is in manual calculate mode, delete it if you don't need it.
Range("C5").Parent.Calculate

' Lines below turn calculation mode and screen updating back on
With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomaitc
End With

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry guys, it's not what I really needed.
The formula itself is not so important. What is important is the fact that after the VB enters my formula into a cell, it tries to calculate it on the spot - as if I entered the formula manually and hit enter (or ctrl+shift+enter).
What I want to do is to enter the formula and force Excel to leave it without calculating.

Upvote 0
This command line, shown above, turns off Excel's default state to automatically calculate a cell:
Code:
[B]Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual[/B]
I used Application as an object in a With statement to also turn off screenupdating, hence:
Code:
[B]With Application[/B]
  .ScreenUpdating = False
[B]  .Calculation = xlCalculationManual[/B]
[B]End With[/B]
Here is a link to a similar asked question previously: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/81779-application-calculation-=-xlmanual.html

Upvote 0
No, the .Calculation = xlCalculationManual won't do the trick I want. Even though I have the .Calculation set to manual, when VBA enters my formula, it immediately calculates it (only the just-entered-formula).
It is the same if you have .Calculation set to Manual and enter a formula into a call - it will calculate it.

What I want to do is to enter a formula without calculating it at all.

Upvote 0
This seems to work the way you want. In a brand new workbook, fill A1:A50 with numbers 1 to 50, do the same for B1:B50, then run the following:
Code:
Sub test()

Dim x As Long

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
ActiveSheet.EnableCalculation = False

For x = 1 To 50
    Range("C" & x).Value = "#SUM(IF($A$1:$A$50=$B$1:$B$50,$A$1:$A$50*$B$1:$B$50,0))"     
Next x

Range("C1").FormulaArray = Replace(Range("C1").Value, "#", "=")
Range("C1:C50").FillDown

ActiveSheet.EnableCalculation = True
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

End Sub

Upvote 0
just a daft thought, the examples i've glanced through are vba to turn off calculate, I am sure you have already set the work book to not calculated

Upvote 0
Even with calculation set to Manual...
A new formula that is entered is still calculated 'at the time it's entered'.
Even if you enter a formula by hand with calculation set to manual, it still calculates 'at the time it's entered'.

Setting calculation to manula prevents formulas from RE-Calculating when values in the sheet change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back