Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Im using this VBA code at the moment.

Sub Macro1()
Dim i As Long, n As Variant
n = InputBox("How many rows:", "INSERT ROWS")
If n = "" Or Not IsNumeric(n) Or n < 1 Then Exit Sub
If Int(n) < Val(n) Then Exit Sub
i = 10
Do While Cells(i, "B") <> ""
i = i + 1
Loop
Rows(i & ":" & i + n - 1).Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Rows(i - 1 & ":" & i - 1).Copy
Rows(i & ":" & i + n - 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas
Rows(i & ":" & i + n - 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

The problem is, that it is copying everything in the previous rows. I am only wanting it to copy column A. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm also needing help to ensure that every time a new row is added that the reference number ticks over to the next numerical value.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 20

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi,

Unfortunately it is still adding the ref number into the wrong format. I think the picture I attached wasn't an accurate depiction of what I wanted, apologies. I am needing it to read VBA-027/24-25, and then when a new row is added for it to automatically change to VBA-028/24-25, VBA-029/24-25 ect. So, each time a new row is added the number is updated automatically.

Thank you

Upvote 0
We all know that you can't help people who don't want to help themselves.
If you don't answer the questions from people that are willing to, and spending their free time to help you, not much can be achieved.
This is in regards to Post #20

In regards to your Post #22.
What happens when you run the code we gave you somewhere around 2 weeks ago in Post # 17.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You forgot to mention which line caused the error.
This line gives me the error - Cells(i, 1).Value = Left(Cells(i - 1, 1), 4) & Format(Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 5, 3) * 1 + 1, "000") & Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 8)

Upvote 0
What is the formula in the last cell with a value (VBA-***/**-**) in it? In the attached picture in your first post, it shows rows 6 as the last row with data and the row below it empty.
Are there formulas below this cell?

Upvote 0
What is the formula in the last cell with a value (VBA-***/**-**) in it? In the attached picture in your first post, it shows rows 6 as the last row with data and the row below it empty.
Are there formulas below this cell?
Hi, there is no formula in the last cell with the value, it's just flash formatting. There are no formula's below that cell.

Upvote 0
I don't know what flash formatting is but see if this helps.
In the macro change this line
Code:
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Row
to this
Code:
lr = Columns(1).Find("*", , xlValues, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Offset(1).Row
Also, have you checked if the values have any leading or trailing spaces?
There is something that we can't see because a test workbook I made works like a charm.

Upvote 0
I don't know what flash formatting is but see if this helps.
In the macro change this line
Code:
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Row
to this
Code:
Also, have you checked if the values have any leading or trailing spaces?
There is something that we can't see because a test workbook I made works like a charm.
Thank you, appreciate your time on this. Flash formatting is where excel automatically numbers each row when you drag down the cells.

Due to it being a work file, I can't show the actual workbook, however the replication i have made and attached a picture of is the same. However it's still giving me an error in this line of code Cells(i, 1).Value = Left(Cells(i - 1, 1), 4) & Format(Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 5, 3) * 1 + 1, "000") & Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 8). The error is Run-Time Error '13' type mismatch.

Upvote 0
With the change suggested in Post #27 and the following
Change this line
Code:
Cells(i, 1).Value = Left(Cells(i - 1, 1), 4) & Format(Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 5, 3) * 1 + 1, "000") & Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 8)
to this
Code:
Cells(i, 1).Value = Split(Cells(i - 1, 1), "-")(0) & "-" & Format(Split(Split(Cells(i - 1, 1), "/")(0), "-")(1) * 1 + 1, "000") & "/" & Split(Cells(i - 1, 1), "/")(1)
does that make a difference?

BTW, if you run this, do you get the row number of the one below the last cell with data?
Code:
Sub Get_First_Empty()
Dim lr As Long
MsgBox lr
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the change suggested in Post #27 and the following
Change this line
Code:
Cells(i, 1).Value = Left(Cells(i - 1, 1), 4) & Format(Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 5, 3) * 1 + 1, "000") & Mid(Cells(i - 1, 1), 8)
to this
Code:
Cells(i, 1).Value = Split(Cells(i - 1, 1), "-")(0) & "-" & Format(Split(Split(Cells(i - 1, 1), "/")(0), "-")(1) * 1 + 1, "000") & "/" & Split(Cells(i - 1, 1), "/")(1)
does that make a difference?

BTW, if you run this, do you get the row number of the one below the last cell with data?
Code:
Sub Get_First_Empty()
Dim lr As Long
MsgBox lr
End Sub
Hi! You're amazing, that last code update is now working perfectly. Thank you so much!

Yes the other code does show the row number of the one below the last cell with data.

Thank you again, and appreciate your patience

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back