VBA / Access work for a bank?

poiu

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has ever worked for a bank using Access/VBA? I come from a commercial cost centre reporting / MIS background and was wondering how different working for a bank would be?

Many thanks if anyone could shed some light.

Poiu

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I work in a bank, but never use Access. Because of Microsoft's price structure, it was too expensive to get Access for everyone, so most users (about 95%) ended up with Office Basic. Any database stuff was either maintained on our AS/400 or in an Excel spreadsheet. For more advanced stuff, I write Excel VBA macros to give the users what they need. Most of my duties now involve downloading raw data from the AS/400 and manipulating it in Excel via VBA and pivot tables.

I don't know if I answered all your questions or not, but I'll gladly answer any additional questions you may have.

Sticks hand up and waves :biggrin:

At the moment I am also working in/for a bank. I create reporting solutions with a variety of software, mainly Excel as frontend for end-users because everyone in the bank has Excel. Like TinaP said, here also not everyone gets access to Access (hehe, nerdy pun alert :warning:), so I work around that by using DAO or ADO or ODBC to connect to the backend Access database from within Excel. No extra Access licenses needed for that.
For the rest I get to use other databases like SQL Server and Oracle, and some frontend reporting solutions like Business Objects and SAS (kind of a hybrid between database and reporting solution). I never directly connect to the mainframe though.

So, what questions do you have?

Tina, you'd love how easy it is to use Access to manage AS/400 data. I used to download millions of records a week into Access, then further query the data into Excel. And now that you have PowerPivot, you could link directly to the AS/400 from Excel.

I am currently on a consulting assignment at a bank. I am using Access everyday to analyze, parse, sort etc. data. Most of the regular bank employees do not have Access. What we (the consultants) have done is create links from Access to Excel with the query results. So a few with Access can make data easily available to the masses. Lots of Pivot tables with slicers (new in Excel 2010) makes it easy for the Excel masses.

Alan

Thanks everyone,

So is most of the work you do in a bank analysing the savings/loan book or is it reporting commercial expenditure much like any other industry (i.e. payroll, advertising, marketing, overheads etc)?

Thanks,

Poiu

Last edited:
Analyzing Loan Portfolio. Primarily those that are in Bankruptcy. US Bankruptcy law is very specific in how you handle these and they need to be monitored closely.

I don't know of any books specializing in this area. Most of it is just plain common sense business analysis. For example, if a customer is in bankruptcy, all contact must be through the customer's attorney. If this is the case, why is the client coded as a contact by phone? And you found this out by running queries using different criteria.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back