Useless help topics

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Here's something else:
Microsoft didn't put Application.Filesearch in XL2007, and although I couldn't find Filesearch itself in the help file, all sorts of properties and methods, etc. relating to it still exist in the help file.

At least CanPlaySounds told you that it didn't exist anymore.

Last edited:
IMO the microsoft office help system has never been the same since 97. Office 97's online help was actually helpful. Now it's like doing a google search. Pull's up 5000 entries, and the one you are looking for is at 4999:-)
I actually learned how to use VBA with the help in 97, I wouldn't want to even try that now.(Athough, now I have Mr Excel, so the painful lessons might have been skipped).

Ah, but the language is a lot more flowery in 2007:
"Pray tell, what dost thou desire to do?"
and the like... :biggrin:

It seems to me that the help files are only really helpful if you know what you are trying to look for. You have to search for something like: "I need help with THIS function" rather than what it should be: "I would like to do this, how do I do it".

If you don't already know what function you need to use, it's gonna take you a long time to find what you need.

Here's something else:
Microsoft didn't put Application.Filesearch in XL2007, and although I couldn't find Filesearch itself in the help file, all sorts of properties and methods, etc. relating to it still exist in the help file.

That was an internal Microsoft goof. Apparently the VBA team didn't think anyone used it anymore and removed it, by the time 2007 was RFM the Excel team found out and screamed bloody murder. I think it will be back in the next release. ;)

That was an internal Microsoft goof. Apparently the VBA team didn't think anyone used it anymore and removed it, by the time 2007 was RFM the Excel team found out and screamed bloody murder...

Ya know Smitty, no matter how many times I see that, it still flabbergasts me. I always wonder whom, exactly did they check with? But, be that as it may, have you ever seen a workaround for pulling a list of files based on whether or not they contain a certain custom document property? Don't go researchin' it -- I can do that when I get to a point where I need it. But if you've seen something...

Greg

Isn't there something in Professional Excel Development on this? I'm sure I read a passage on this just the other day. I'll dig out my copy and see if I can find it again.

Greg
Isn't there something in Professional Excel Development on this? I'm sure I read a passage on this just the other day. I'll dig out my copy and see if I can find it again.
Of course I left my copy at home today. But if [my admittedly ricketly memory serves] it was actually a routine I saw in Prof. Excel. Dev. a month or two ago that made me go "hmmm, there's a use of FSO for which I've not seen a work-around". I *think* it was in the dictator app chapter in a tool to list workbooks that belonged to the application; but don't hold me to any of this until I can look it up!

Richard,

Yes, I was correct, it was Professional Excel Development where I'd seen the code that prompted my query to Smitty -- Listing #6-9, pages 164-165. If there is a work-around (there or elsewhere) I don't recall seeing it. I'll skim the rest of the book when I can to see if I can find something.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back