Useless help topics

Lewiy

Most of us are probably aware that there a handful of functions in Excel which are not documented in the help files (pre-xl2007) such as DATEDIF. I’m wondering why things like this have been omitted, but they decided to include the following documentation for the CanPlaySounds Property in VBA:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
CanPlaySounds Property<o:p></o:p>

This property should not be used. Sound notes have been removed from Microsoft Excel.<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Lewiy,
From what I've stumbled across on the datedif() function, is that it's not documented because it was only put into excel to make it more compatible for individual's transitioning from Lotus 123. I believe the formula must have been available in lotus?

I read this on the internet so it must be true:-) Sounds plausible though.

Cal

Lewiy

As far as I know DATEDIF has never been documented in Excel Help at all.:)

And I think Cal is right about Lotus, that's what I've heard anyway.

Most of us are probably aware that there a handful of functions in Excel which are not documented in the help files (pre-xl2007) such as DATEDIF. I’m wondering why things like this have been omitted,...
From what I've stumbled across on the datedif() function, is that it's not documented because it was only put into excel to make it more compatible for individual's transitioning from Lotus 123. I believe the formula must have been available in lotus?
I read this on the internet so it must be true Sounds plausible though.
As far as I know DATEDIF has never been documented in Excel Help at all.
And I think Cal is right about Lotus, that's what I've heard anyway.
Don't you people have Google? :stickouttounge:

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/oddity/the_datedif_function/

FYI - yes, that's Walkenbach's site. John recently redid the whole thing. He said he used ExpressionEngine (if I recall correctly) and really likes it.

The point was really to highlight the uselessness of the CanPlaySounds property help file. It was almost not worth them putting that in!!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Also, in terms of compatibility…..is the CELL worksheet function not also there for that reason? Yet it is documented in full in the help files.

If they took away the help file for the CELL function it would render it pointless. I always know when and why I want to use the it, but I always have to use the help file to get me through.

Have you read the Excel 2007 offline Help section about defined names? I think someone was bored...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back