Urgent Import Problem no row deliminator

steven H

Board Regular
I have a txt file to import, the fields are in fixed width format. I have tried to import it to access with no success. I have attempted to import using sql server 2000 import export utility but I am getting a message telling me there are no row deliminators. I need to insert a row deliminator after every 400 characters - however the table will not open in access. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
the application crashed on import having frozen for 30m min, i attempted to use sql server 2000 import export wizard to import and as i detailed in my earlier post, there are no row return characters

Upvote 0
When it froze in Access did you try a Ctrl-Break to stop it running? a lot of import errors will slow it right down.

Peter

Upvote 0
Guys

Its gone in and in under 65k, seems to have found a character to use as a row deliminator.. Peter I did control break however it continued to be frozen ended up control alt deleted out of the process. I will check out now how the data has been carried into excel ie cells filled and characters per cell.

Will post back when I can add something more

Steven

Upvote 0
Is there any delimeter in the data?

Is it just long lines of text?

Upvote 0
Norie

The cells with data in are A1 to A3089 each of these cells has 3137 characters in (using the Len function) - no there are no deliminators in the cells.

Steven

Upvote 0
How is the data organised?

Try looking at Data>Text to Columns.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvan07

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back