Update Other Worksheets When Updating Main Worksheet

something68

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I created a Personnel List as worksheet 1. I copied to a new worksheet and deleted rows so that the worksheet will just be cashiers, then copied again and deleted so the 3rd sheet will be just stock clerks and a 4th sheet of just deli workers.

I want to make a change on the first sheet, i.e., change a stock clerk to deli worker, so that it automatically updates other sheets.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I created a Personnel List as worksheet 1. I copied to a new worksheet and deleted rows so that the worksheet will just be cashiers, then copied again and deleted so the 3rd sheet will be just stock clerks and a 4th sheet of just deli workers.

I want to make a change on the first sheet, i.e., change a stock clerk to deli worker, so that it automatically updates other sheets.
IMO I'd never hold the same data in more than one place at once.

Why do you need to split it and will you be editing one of the other sheets?

Upvote 0
IMO I'd never hold the same data in more than one place at once.

Why do you need to split it and will you be editing one of the other sheets?
I split it to change their position and store (I decided to add store column) and I guess I might edit one of the other 3 sheets so that it changes the main sheet, but also, edit the main sheet so it changes appropriate of the 3 sheets.

Upvote 0
Assuming your personnel list is on a sheet called personnel with names in column A and position in column B, you can try a formula like this:

=UNIQUE(FILTER(Personnel!$A$1:$A$400,Personnel!$B$1:$B$400="stock clerk"))

Make sure no cells below this formula are populated as it will spill as far as it need to match the specified range.

Upvote 0
Assuming your personnel list is on a sheet called personnel with names in column A and position in column B, you can try a formula like this:

=UNIQUE(FILTER(Personnel!$A$1:$A$400,Personnel!$B$1:$B$400="stock clerk"))

Make sure no cells below this formula are populated as it will spill as far as it need to match the specified range.
I think I'm confused.

I have 5 worksheets. The first work sheet lists ALL employees (from all of the stores). Worksheet 2 is employees working at the Lancaster Store, Worksheet 3 is employees working at the Avondale Store, Worksheet 4 is employees working at the Embreeville Store, and Worksheet 5 is employees working at the York Store.

I am picturing that I am on the main Personnel worksheet (listing ALL employees from all the stores) and I am changing One, Some's (working at the Embreeville store) position from cashier to manager and when I do that, it will change the information for that employee on Embreeville's worksheet. Might I also be able to change York worksheet to say that Other Guy, The has moved from York to Lancaster and it will auto change on Lancaster's worksheet?

Upvote 0
I think I'm confused.

I have 5 worksheets. The first work sheet lists ALL employees (from all of the stores). Worksheet 2 is employees working at the Lancaster Store, Worksheet 3 is employees working at the Avondale Store, Worksheet 4 is employees working at the Embreeville Store, and Worksheet 5 is employees working at the York Store.

I am picturing that I am on the main Personnel worksheet (listing ALL employees from all the stores) and I am changing One, Some's (working at the Embreeville store) position from cashier to manager and when I do that, it will change the information for that employee on Embreeville's worksheet. Might I also be able to change York worksheet to say that Other Guy, The has moved from York to Lancaster and it will auto change on Lancaster's worksheet?

Upvote 0
So adding the store names needs a slight tweak to the formula. I’ve put together a sample workbook here.

This is what the formula will then look like:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Personnel!$A$2:$A$401,(Personnel!$B$2:$B401="stock clerk")*(Personnel!$C$2:$C401="Avondale")))

Upvote 0
So adding the store names needs a slight tweak to the formula. I’ve put together a sample workbook here.

This is what the formula will then look like:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Personnel!$A$2:$A$401,(Personnel!$B$2:$B401="stock clerk")*(Personnel!$C$2:$C401="Avondale")))
It doesn't seem to be working for me. I added 2 rows so that the cell below will be blank and when I copied and pasted your formula, it opens up the window for me to select a file. I select the file and #CALC! is now in the cell.

Upvote 0
It doesn't seem to be working for me. I added 2 rows so that the cell below will be blank and when I copied and pasted your formula, it opens up the window for me to select a file. I select the file and #CALC! is now in the cell.

Also, the link you gave me for the example workbook is "content filter denied:

Upvote 0
You'll need to make sure there is nothing in the cells below the formula, and you'll also need to change the tab names in the formula to match your workbook

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
androidmj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back