Update Excel Online automatically when new entry added to SharePoint list

armywalrus2

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello! I have asked to assist another team with their current productivity tracking. Team members enter items into a SharePoint list. They have an excel spreadsheet online with a Status column that would populate when a new entry was made in the SharePoint list. This feature has stopped working and I am finding a lot of advice on how to update a list from Excel, but not much on the reverse. Can you help point me in the right direction? My Google skills are failing me on this one.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
If you are using Microsoft 365 you can utilize Power Automate. You can create a flow that triggers when a new item has been added to a SharePoint List. You can then use an Excel trigger to insert a row into a table (assuming your Excel file is saved in SharePoint and not in a local directory), or if it isn't in a table, you can utilize Office Scripts to run a macro to insert that data into Excel. Here is a great YouTube video to get you started!

Upvote 0
If you are using Microsoft 365 you can utilize Power Automate. You can create a flow that triggers when a new item has been added to a SharePoint List. You can then use an Excel trigger to insert a row into a table (assuming your Excel file is saved in SharePoint and not in a local directory), or if it isn't in a table, you can utilize Office Scripts to run a macro to insert that data into Excel. Here is a great YouTube video to get you started!
Thank you! I will get started watching this video. Would you happen to know if you can trigger data to fill in with "Complete" in a cell in an existing row? The item in the SharePoint list carries an ID, the row in the Excel sheet carries the same ID. So when a user updates the case, they add to the list, saying this case with this ID has been completed, and that would need to trigger the word "Complete" to populate in the existing Status column, in the row containing the same ID. Like a Vlookup is being done in the Excel sheet on the SharePoint list data. I am definitely watching that video and I appreciate your help!!!

Upvote 0
Thank you! I will get started watching this video. Would you happen to know if you can trigger data to fill in with "Complete" in a cell in an existing row? The item in the SharePoint list carries an ID, the row in the Excel sheet carries the same ID. So when a user updates the case, they add to the list, saying this case with this ID has been completed, and that would need to trigger the word "Complete" to populate in the existing Status column, in the row containing the same ID. Like a Vlookup is being done in the Excel sheet on the SharePoint list data. I am definitely watching that video and I appreciate your help!!!
Yes this is definitely feasible! You can use the Update Row Excel trigger

Upvote 0
Note: When marking a post as the solution, please mark the original post containing the solution, not your own post acknowledging that some other post contains the solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MNexcelguy19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back