Unable to modify data - Form referencing 3 tables

rjunk

Board Regular
Hey folks.
I'm an excel guy, but from time to time play with Access.
I have three tables (Employees/Computers/Printers) which together will track which computers and printers have been issued to which employees by serial numbers and employee numbers.
The relationships I have built essentially just join the employee IDs in both the computers table and printers table, with the list of employee IDs in the Employee table
My form shows an employee ID and the equipment model numbers and serial numbers for the computer and printer assigned to that employee.
...And it works too. I can see every employee record.
The problem is that I cannot modify any of the data through the Form.
I have checked all of the properties and done anything I can find in the Help feature, but am at my wits end.
Anybody have any Ideas?????

The database has changed somewhat now, but the problem remains the same.
When I go to the SQL, here is what I see:
SELECT Employees.[B Number], Employees.[Full Name], Employees.Position, Employees.Branch, Employees.Phone, Computers.Type AS Computers_Type, Computers.Model AS Computers_Model, Computers.[SERIAL NUMBER] AS [Computers_SERIAL NUMBER], Computers.Notes AS Computers_Notes, [2ndComputers].Type AS 2ndComputers_Type, [2ndComputers].Model AS 2ndComputers_Model, [2ndComputers].[SERIAL NUMBER] AS [2ndComputers_SERIAL NUMBER], [2ndComputers].Notes AS 2ndComputers_Notes, [Local Printers].MODEL AS [Local Printers_MODEL], [Local Printers].[SERIAL NUMBER] AS [Local Printers_SERIAL NUMBER], [Local Printers].Notes AS [Local Printers_Notes]
FROM ((Employees LEFT JOIN Computers ON Employees.[B Number] = Computers.[B Number]) LEFT JOIN 2ndComputers ON Employees.[B Number] = [2ndComputers].[B Number]) LEFT JOIN [Local Printers] ON Employees.[B Number] = [Local Printers].[B Number];

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Can you outline what tables you have?

Do you have the following?

Employees
Computers
2ndComputers
Local Printers

Upvote 0
Ray

When you open the query you posted in datasheet view can you change/update records?

If you can't it's probably because somewhere the relationships between tables haven't been set up correctly.

What is B Number?

What are the primary keys of each table?

Are there any foreign keys in any tables?

Upvote 0
No, I cannot edit the query in datashee view.
B Number is employee number
Each table has an auto number primary key.
I have not intentionally assigned any foreign keys, as I do not yet really understand what they do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hideoshie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back