Transferring data to new PC

Good news Richard, the DVD drive is a SATA connected drive, the bad news is that the motherboard doesn't have ANY IDE connectors at all !!

Still I suppose I could buy a PCI card with an IDE adapter built in, I've just seen one for £17.50

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Denis also runs Office 2007. Whilst I find Excel 2007 and xl2003 co-exist happily, Access 2003 and Access 2007 are a different kettle of fish (my Access 2003 is not a happy bunny any more, altho the 2007 one seems to work without problem) - I believe this is why Denis uses the virtual PC environment.

Yep -- spot on. I also had hassles with Word conflicting (I think that's because the 2 versions of Outlook don't get on, and they like to use Word as the default editor). This way I can have 2 full installations without conflicts. I guess the other way is to go dual-boot, but I find it useful to be able to toggle between the environments.

Denis

I must admit, I would prefer to "toggle" between the different environmants too, re-booting each time would prove a real pain.

I am right in assuming that it wouldn't matter if the disk file systems are different, as in my old disk drives are formatted as FAT, whilst I may have the Vista as NTFS, not for the Virtual PC, but in general ?

I think so, but you'd be best to check some of the Vista documentation.

I'm pretty sure that most external drives are formatted as FAT32 and I have had no problems with 2 different ones. My internal SATA drive is NTFS.

Denis

One issue you could have with the external drive formatted as FAT32 is to transfer files above 1GB. Is not a space problem is the limited size accepted by transfer on the external drives. To fix this you have to delete the partition of the external drive, create a new one and format it as NTFS.

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back