Tracking macro Usage

Hmmm..wow! I have seen people numbering their lines in code, but have not seen it done regularly since the days when I used HDOS (Heathkit Disk Operating System for your young'ns out there!) and some of the BASIC languages.

Yes! I was just thinking that too! Brings me back to the days when I learned programming in BASIC! :laugh:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Yes! I was just thinking that too! Brings me back to the days when I learned programming in BASIC! :laugh:
Yea, Erl function comes from the deep happy time when our grandmothers programmed :)
Never used it but have found that it adds a bit security to the not tabbed code.
It was a code I saw with lines numbering, obfuscating and not tabbed.
There was difficult to understand even the structure of that code.

Wow that add-in has a lot of features... Thanks for sharing.
Happy to share useful info!
Smart Indenter is another great utility the most frequently used by me for auto indention of the code.
It is very useful for analyzing of poor tabbed code sometimes posted in the forum.
BTW, it works even with numbered code.

Happy to share useful info!
Smart Indenter is another great utility the most frequently used by me for auto indention of the code.
It is very useful for analyzing of poor tabbed code sometimes posted in the forum.
BTW, it works even with numbered code.

I second that. So much so that I have had it in my sig for a while now. SO USEFUL.. :beerchug:

So i used my tracking data, assigned a time-saved value against each tool that i wrote, and it turns out this year to date, i might have saved the company about 37 hours, so far, in just the selected tools. Saw the boss yesterday to plead my case for a rise, and he was very interested to see those numbers, and I'm very glad to have the data...

It's nice to be able to somewhat quantify the value I'm adding.

So i used my tracking data, assigned a time-saved value against each tool that i wrote, and it turns out this year to date, i might have saved the company about 37 hours, so far, in just the selected tools. Saw the boss yesterday to plead my case for a rise, and he was very interested to see those numbers, and I'm very glad to have the data...

It's nice to be able to somewhat quantify the value I'm adding.
Congrats, RobMatthews!
Nice idea of the tracking statistics usage.
Never thought of that direction, thanks for sharing!
Vlad

I don't use usage tracking, more success/failure tracking on some projects.

E.g. If I've written code that's performing a task on all workbooks within a folder I'll end up with a text file showing which files were opened, if any couldn't be opened for editing, if a required column was in the wrong format or missing - all that kind of stuff.

I don't track how often my code is used though - I just write it and put it out there, if it's not being used then that's not my problem. I just enjoyed writing it. :)

I have a macro file that is placed in a sharedrive & this file has many macros.The users will access the file from the sharedrive only.
Can anyone give me the code which captures the macro usage (date,time,user & the macro which was run) in a log file or in a sheet of the same file,I will add the code in my macro.

Thanks

On a somewhat related note: Does anybody else that distributes macros as addin's have a good way of keeping track of which versions users are using? For example, I have a couple of 'generic task' addins that each contain ~10 sub-menu choices that I add to occasionally, and I'd like to be able to keep track of who has what, in case of a hard drive crash or whatnot.

I don't necessarily track which versions people are using, but when they install the add-in, I make sure they don't install it locally. Like you, I've written add-ins with generic tasks. I wanted to be able to revise my code without having to reinstall the add-in on every single computer. So far, the only problem I've encountered is when the drives haven't mapped correctly on our network.

I have a macro file that is placed in a sharedrive & this file has many macros.The users will access the file from the sharedrive only.
Can anyone give me the code which captures the macro usage (date,time,user & the macro which was run) in a log file or in a sheet of the same file,I will add the code in my macro.

Thanks

See my first post. I posted the code that I use. Obviously, change "NetworkPath\DescriptiveFileName.txt<NETWORKPATH\DESCRIPTIVEFILENAME.TXT>" to something meaningful, create your log file(s), and away you go. I have log files for each different macro, to minimise the chance of two concurrent users trying to access the file (I have about 16 users). You can put in as much or as little information as you want. In that example, I only have user name, the number of rows manipulated, and the Time/Date. (That was from a mcros that changed and AutoCAD drawing.)

You can see usage purely by file size...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back