Time lag

Another thing -- I don't know if this happens to anyone else, it may be a browser setting, but every now and again I find that it's really slow to get in and when I do, I have to log in instead of being automatically authenticated.

Sorta like it chucks / loses my cookie...

Denis

Syndey, some of the slowness is caused by queries locking up the site. When that happens, the site reboots itself (or something). And if you happen to be logging in at that time - you lose your info and have to relogin.

The site's just too darn popular :biggrin:

As we all sure agree, navigating this site has always been slow but it's recently become so frustrating that it really puts one off using the site at all. It sometimes takes more than 1 Min for a message to get submitted !

And No, It's not something that hapeens occasionally. It happens very often.

None of the other VB/EXCEL sites that I use have this problem. I always wonder why.

Regards.

Hi, Jafaar,

None of the other VB/EXCEL sites that I use have this problem. I always wonder why.
I think Tracy answered this: "the site is too popular"

To my experience the slowdown starts when America is awaking. About 13:00 GMT till about 18:00 seem the slowest hours. Saturday is OK and Sunday is quick.

When submitting a message, I do some other work like checking if emails came in... So I do not bother when it's slow.

Perhaps you can try the "trick" I posted earlier in this thread ?

kind regards,
Erik

Syndey, some of the slowness is caused by queries locking up the site. When that happens, the site reboots itself (or something). And if you happen to be logging in at that time - you lose your info and have to relogin

Yeh that's kinda what I meant when I get booted out!

"the site is too popular"
Well it's good to know that I'm 'trendy'!

MrExcel rocks! :biggrin:

I often find that if I get a delay, stopping the load and re-running it speeds up dramatically. Dunno, but possible issue when multiple requests hit at once and jam up the queue?

This may have more weight than it sounds.

TCP/IP may have a slight part to play here and when this site does get very busy, packets can 'hit' other packets and when they do, they get dropped and the author 'so to speak' is not informed.

I am not saying this is what as it fault nor that I know enough about TCP/IP but I am on the understanding that this is a common issue when using TCP/IP (which is always when using the www) to navigate across the world to busy servers only for your session not to complete correctly and thus you get a feeling of nothing happening.

Thinking about it, it is rather amazing that tiny requests for information can be passed as quickly as it does between servers the other side of the world.

I am sure there is combination of faults to the problem. When it's busy it is a pain indeed but I tend to restrict my visits as I prefer to see a couple of pages of new posts before I visit again anyway.

~Mark

lenze

Perhaps that's what's causing it for you.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back