Time/distance calculation

PirateRN

This is really a math question, I guess, but I'm sure I can use an Excel formula(s) to calculate it. Here's the scenario:

If Trucker A is traveling 75 MPH and Trucker B is behind Trucker A and traveling 75.00146 MPH. Trucker B decides to pass Trucker A. How long will it take Trucker B to pass Trucker A, with a distance of 600' required for passing?

Hahaha, y'all crack me up! My question originated from exactly what you mentioned. My daily commute involves about a 30-mile trip (both ways) on an interstate highway and invariably there is that ONE Trucker B that decides he'll pull out to pass Trucker A when he's barely going faster than Trucker A. The result of course, is that traffic stacks up behind Trucker B- taking literally miles to complete a pass. It turns a 20- 25 minute commute into a much longer one. Perhaps not 78 hours, but I'm sure you understand if it's ever happened in front of you (I'm sure it has!)

I see on many of the trailers that the length of the trailer is 53'. Add the approximate length of the tractor, say 25', and you get roughly 78'. Allow for the distance between the two when Trucker B decides to change lines, and the distance of clearance after passing Trucker A before he changes lines again. All of that was just a SWAG; it might be 200' or 1000'... I really don't know, but I think your formula works.

Thanks for your answers!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back