Time/distance calculation

PirateRN

This is really a math question, I guess, but I'm sure I can use an Excel formula(s) to calculate it. Here's the scenario:

If Trucker A is traveling 75 MPH and Trucker B is behind Trucker A and traveling 75.00146 MPH. Trucker B decides to pass Trucker A. How long will it take Trucker B to pass Trucker A, with a distance of 600' required for passing?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
=A1/((C1-B1)*5280)

Where A1 = Distance,
B1 = Speed of truck A,
C1 = Speed of Truck B

Time in hours.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I might be wrong, but I think that will just give the time it takes to "Catch Up" to Truck A but still be right behind, in order to "Pass" Truck A, we're missing the length of Truck A and Truck B to be added to the Distance. Again, I might be wrong...

Upvote 0
Yes, my answer would give the time to the closest point of approach (CPA). Depends how you define when Truck B has passed Truck A, but any time after the CPA the trucks are getting further apart. Without any extra information I thought this was the best answer.

Upvote 0
Actually, you may be correct, I had thought the distance between Truck A and B was 600', I re-read OP, it said "with a distance of 600' required for passing", so that would imply the total distance, i.e., distance between the two vehicles and the length of the vehicles combined.

Upvote 0
That's interesting :)

It's also funny to think about it happening in real life. Well.......funny if your in FRONT of them on a 2 lane per direction highway, not nearly as funny if your behind them watching the closing speed of just under 7 and 3/4 FEET......per...............HOUR. For just under 78...fun filled.....hours. :(

Upvote 0
That's interesting

It's also funny to think about it happening in real life. Well.......funny if your in FRONT of them on a 2 lane per direction highway, not nearly as funny if your behind them watching the closing speed of just under 7 and 3/4 FEET......per...............HOUR. For just under 78...fun filled.....hours.

:LOL:, That Is funny, I didn't go thru the math, but if that's the case, I'd Hate to come up behind them in the Last 4 hrs (8hrs if you count after B passes A), cause I don't have enough room to change lanes and cut thru...:eek::mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's interesting :)

It's also funny to think about it happening in real life. Well.......funny if your in FRONT of them on a 2 lane per direction highway, not nearly as funny if your behind them watching the closing speed of just under 7 and 3/4 FEET......per...............HOUR. For just under 78...fun filled.....hours. :(

is there oncoming traffic?

:ROFLMAO: You guys are too funny, Made my day.

Upvote 0
is there oncoming traffic?

And of there is, am I allowed to choose to walk in front of it rather than wait for this bozo to pass this other clown?

Incidentally, I'm not sure where all in the world this show was aired or who all here may have ever seen it, but Bozo the clown (the real guy) died a week or so ago. Hadn't thought about that show in years until I read that. I always thought for sure I could win that bucket toss game though....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back