The new face of Mr E....

DonkeyOte

MrExcel MVP
Kudos to those resposible for the updated look of Mr E :eek: ..v good and hopefully a little easier for those not familiar with HTML to post bold messages to emphasise code problems etc

Nice stuff :LOL:
Luke

Every time I post I get this crap appearing at the top of the page:

Warning: Address is not a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address in /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php on line 66

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php:66) in /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php on line 582

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php:66) in /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php on line 584

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php:66) in /usr/www/users/mrexcel/board2/includes/page_header.php on line 585

and Colo's utility doesn't work anymore? :(

Any ideas?

nor does my signature...

Chris did you do anything to your profile etc as yours is still operational...

lasw10 said:
nor does my signature...

Chris did you do anything to your profile etc as yours is still operational...

Done nothing to my profile so don't know why mine is working and yours isn't - I've seen a few signatures not working besides yours though ...

Hey, Luke.

It's not just yours, don't worry :)

From what I've seen, it appears that it likes img tags, but doesn't like any other sort of HTML.

But, keep in mind, this new board is still somewhat a "work in progress," as I don't think all of the spiffy bells and whistles we had before have been implemented yet.

On the "old" Board, the hyperlink to a topic changed from black to blue when I viewed the topic, then back to black if there had been additional posts since I last viewed. I'm probably missing something, and this is the first time I've visited since the new theme went up, but how do I tell now? Also (I'll probably see after I post this) how do I tell if I've posted to a thread. Hyperlink used to go red.

Richard

EDIT: No indication I've posted. Also Chris. I get the same Warnings when I post.

Growing pains

I can see some of you have had some of the same questions/problems with the new board, so bear with me while I list my problems cum questions.

1. The image in my signature came over o.k. (there may be some among you that wish it hadn't), but I had to chop some of the text and BB/Hotmail coding; got a message when I submitted my Profile that said limit of 255 characters.

2. It seems when you use the buttons to insert BB code, it inserts it at the end of the line - you can't go back and use the buttons to insert the code in the middle of the line You can still do it manually, though. Also, the Close Tags button seems to only close the last code you inserted..

3. In my Profile, I have a choice of two board schemes, "subSilver" and "vbnew". Both give the same result. I kind of miss the good, old light-green/white alternate replies and the bigletters, for my poor, old eyes.

4. I get the same crap at the top of the screen as Chris mentioned when I post. Doesn't seem to affect anything, though.

5. Tried searching by Author for some of my old posts. Confusing results; have to go back and figure that one out.

6. The new board is just a tad too wide for my screen; have to scroll right and left and that is annoying. Don't want to go to Windows to increase the size, the text is small enough as it is.

7. Again, as someone else mentioned, I miss the blue text on posts I've viewed and the red text on those I've replied to.

8. Last, but certainly not least, Colo's Utility seems to have come through on previous-to-change posts, but I've tried twice now to use it on the new board and it doesn't work. One more try below:

Nope, still doesn't work, plus the text below, in quotes, was originally entered AFTER the Colo script, and ended up at the very foot of the reply, past the reply section.

"I really do appreciate the effort put into the upgrade, and I know it's partially my own stick-in-the-mud conservatism that makes me so nostalgic for the old board, so I really do hope that the bugs get worked out and that I fall in love anew with the new board.

PS: does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of BB code I can use?"

I really do appreciate the effort put into the upgrade, and I know it's partially my own stick-in-the-mud conservatism that makes me so nostalgic for the old board, so I really do hope that the bugs get worked out and that I fall in love anew with the new board.

PS: does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of BB code I can use?

</html>Heya Barry. Let's take these point-by-point, shall we? :)

1. There was an issue with the new version of the board where the administrator can actually decide which HTML tags are accepted on the board. Apparently, the IMG tag is defaulted to on, since all of those were working, but none of the others were. I told Bill about it, and he's enabled all of the tags (at least that he could think of). There is still a problem with the codes used in Colo's HTML generator, though. It's being worked on.
  2. That's how it's worked on all of the other boards I've seen that use the newer versions of php. I'm not too sure there's anything that can be done about it. Honestly, I never use the buttons anyway. Too many years of manually typing in the codes myself, it's just like second nature now. Heck, even when I'm typing in my journal and want to use italics or something, I catch myself using the square brackets instead of the greater than/less than for HTML :rolleyes:
  3. Same here. But the text size hasn't been a problem for me, so I'm not sure ::shrug::
  4. Again, same here.
  5. How was it confusing? At the old board, it just showed you the topics you posted in. In the new board, you can decide whether or not you want to view the topic titles only (like before), or if you choose "posts" it will actually show you a little bit of the post you made in each topic.
  6. Works fine for me. ::shrug:: No idear. I'll mention it in the MVP forum, see if anyone there has the same problem.
  7. See #1. It's being worked on :)

As for the P.S., here ya go. (Just so ya know, if you click the word "BBCode" on the left side of the screen in the area next to all of the checkboxes, it will take you to that page.)

Hope I've helped at least tad! :D

Thanks for your response, Kristy. Hope I didn't sound too much a whiner; I've been reading the posts about the new board and saving my post until I came up with a list.

The BB codes are not much of a concern, and the signiture even less so. Colo's Utility, though, is most important, though; I feel almost lost without it. Amazing how much I've come to depend on it.

I still hope we get a choice of schemes down the road; I really like the way the replies were alternately white and green - very easy on these old eyes.

Between my post and your reply, I went back and did another search by Author and yes, I do like the option of seeing the first few lines of each post. As a matter of fact, that was one of the things I wished the Bored offered all the while I was using the previous version. Guess I just got a bit confused when I first tried it. Touch of Excelheimer's.

Thanks for the link to the BB code stuff. I had stumbled on that a couple of days ago, hadn't thought to print it out, and I've been going nuts trying to find it again ever since. Incidentally, your hyperlink was the first that worked for me on the new board. Everyone else's has just jumped me to the Forum Index List.

Lastly, my version of Windows has a side-bar on the left side of the screen that can be reduced from about 2 inches wide to about 3/4 of an inch, but not any further. Therefore, I'm losing that much space on my screen, just the amount I would need to see the entire board screen without scrolling. No doubt Mr. Gates weighed the disgruntlehood of millions of users against the opportunity to place his pretty go-to-my-sites icons and we, the users, came up short again.

By the way, your ::shrug:: BB code isn't working. Try ending it with ::/shrug::

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senthil Murugan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back