The most pointless combination of functions

I disagree with this one. =SUM(E5,K5) is different from =E5+K5, particularly if either E5 or K5 could contain a text value.
That's very true...

THIS would make it pointless, a + instead of ,

=SUM(E5+K5)

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I disagree with this one. =SUM(E5,K5) is different from =E5+K5, particularly if either E5 or K5 could contain a text value.

That's a great point, Matt. I'd forgotten about SUM's robustness in handling non-numeric variants. Interesting that SUM(A1,B1) where the cells contain TRUE returns zero, but =A1+B1 returns 2.

Interesting that SUM(A1,B1) where the cells contain TRUE returns zero, but =A1+B1 returns 2.

But =SUM(--A1,--B1) returns 2 as does =SUM(A1+B1)
and
=SUM(A1:B1) returns zero.

Curious! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

=A1*B1 returns 1 but
=PRODUCT(A1,B1) returns zero
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I guess this is just how the functions interpret Boolean values as either numbers or not.

It's a bit ironic that this thread has pretty much become "why certain combinations of functions aren't pointless."

It's a bit ironic that this thread has pretty much become "why certain combinations of functions aren't pointless."

The best way to prove something is pointless is to disprove that it’s not!

I think that is the Scientists Code or something...

It's easier to prove something FALSE, than it is to prove it TRUE.
You only have to find 1 reason for it to be FALSE, but you need to explore ALL possiblities to prove it TRUE..

When you eventually decide upon the most pointless combination of functions, they will obviously satisfy the condition of being the most pointless combination of functions and therefore will cease being the most pointless combination of functions.

Hofstatder-esc recursion.

I think we can make an exception for a function’s only purpose being that it is the most pointless function!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back