The 'average' excel user

****, Where do I sign up!!! I'm not sure what £500 a day is in Canadian $'s but I pretty sure that more then double what I currently make!! I even quit drinking coffee about a year ago, so they would have to pay me to stand around or somthing instead:-)

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
It's about 1,009.18 CAD.:o

Or in layman's terms 11,542.2 Estonian Kroon's.:)

Yeah, ummm...The multiplier just went way, way up :-D . I'm not sure what an Estonian Kroon is but, I pretty sure I would like to make about 11,000 of them a day. :o

Cal

How about 1866335 Venezuelan Bolivars?:)

it funny that a lot of the posts use pivot tables to gauge the level of excel knowledge. I wonder if its because I included it in my original post or people feel that this is a good indicator to gauge someone's excel ability. what other measures do you use to gauge one's ability?

i also agree that the 'average' excel user that i have seen falls below the pivot table range. as a result, is the 'average' excel user actually a 'beginner' if you use the beginner-intermediate-advanced ranking?

B

I 2<sup>nd</sup> Mark; though I'd say Mark's describing the "median" Excel user, since you've got yer outliers like Cal & Richard who are so far above the typical user that they would skew the "average". :-D

And Norie, unfortunately to spend them Bolivars, yer probably gonna hafta be in Venezuela. While it wasn't so bad when I was there several years ago, ain't so sure I'd be all that stoked to live in Caracas these days. :nervous:

Greg

What could you buy for 1866335 Venezuelan Bolivars?

Is it only me or should one not include layout and formatting in your 'average' skills definintion.

My experience is that sheets lacking any formatting are difficult to understand and the pertinent info (created by your Lookups and PT's) is not 'under the eye'.

I would expect a logical layout and a careful use of borders, font size, colour and condittional formatting, etc to be amongst an average users skills.

On top of that at least knowing that Comments, Sort, Filtering, Page Breaks, Charts, and Tools-->Options! all exist if not in regular use.

Just my 2p worth :)

Miles

I know layout and formatting can be important, especially when the results
might be presented to other users.

But I would think actually getting the correct results would be more important,
and a nice presentation a cherry on the top.:)

Norie, Yes, I agree with your last statement. Data comes first but I also find that formatting is important to help guide the sheet users (me included) attention to the input/output ranges and present controls in a logical order.

An ugly car will get you to work as reliably as a nice one. Given the choice the majority (here's wher someone proves me wrong :lol: ) will prefer not to drive dull cars with no character 8-).

Appreciate that not everyone has the time/resources for a cherry tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prakash K

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back