Tell me why I don't like Tuesdays.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Thanks guys. Support is appreciated!

Code:
'Remove all the irritating formatting

'Deletes all the annoying Totals

'Move the analysis codes somewhere useful

'Get rid of those pig awful blocks of blank rows
:rofl:

I too feel you pain......

Oh the stories that could be told over a pint. (but then would I feel like such a "nerd")

Is the silicon chip inside your head switched to overload?

Why not just tell finance how you want to see the reports and in a consistent format? Is it possible that they just don't know how easy it is to turn a "good as gold" girl into a code killer.

Is the silicon chip inside your head switched to overload?

Why not just tell finance how you want to see the reports and in a consistent format? Is it possible that they just don't know how easy it is to turn a "good as gold" girl into a code killer.

You know, they may not even realize that anyone is trying to use the output for anything useful. I'm sure that somewhere there is a software requirements spec that simply states the output must be available in a format exportable to Excel... and since they don't use it themselves, they just built something as fast as they could, with default formatting. You could be a hero if you offerred to fix it FOR them, so all of the users have something useful...

Bryony
It's really quite simple.
They sent a report, you fixed it !
You told someone you had fixed it, they told finance !!
Finance changed it!!

Remember Petronious ??

Regards
Michael M

You know, they may not even realize that anyone is trying to use the output for anything useful.
Of course, that implies that the output itself ain't useful 'til Bryony get a hold of it. :biggrin: But Paul's correct, it is entirely possible that those who spec &/or code the output are oblivious to downstream usage. There exists a possibility that you might be able to avoid future snafus by talking to them. In theory if they recycle the code, the output would be almost identical.
Tell me, just why would our accounts department see fit to format the reports for a different funding source so COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY from the ones I have already done??? Why now put in only one blank line between rows, rather than your usual annoying two? Why would you now choose column J to put your meaningless titles in, rather than the equally pointless column K???
Don't take it personally. It was simply your turn. There is a worldwide conspiracy by the IT pro's to irritate us "VBA hobbyists" by doing exactly this sort of thing. I believe their targets are to exasperate approximately 250,000 VBA coders per week or about 1 MM per month give or take a bit.
Lesson I have learnt - I need to learn more about making code flexible. So, every cloud...
And see, now you'll believe us when we tell you not to embed "magic numbers" down deep in your code and try to corral them up top as constants. :wink:

Well that is all very good advice. I know for a fact that my department has the most sophisticated finance people (by which I mean me and my boss - which is me and my boss more than any other department) so maybe they don't realise. I think maybe till now people merely ran the reports and printed them off as PDFs (which is an option). But that was before me! I think all departments will have financey type people by the end of the year, so with any luck there will be more need for consistent reports like these. I need to plan my strategy!

Greg - I am glad it wasn't personal. I guess it won't be y turn again for a while, now, eh? (If only!)

:rofl:

I too feel you pain......

Oh the stories that could be told over a pint. (but then would I feel like such a "nerd")

You see, it doesn't matter if you are all nerds together.

When someone calls me a 'nerd' I look at them, and very patronising say "My people prefer to be called 'geeks'".

I find there is no answer to that.

When someone calls me a 'nerd' I look at them, and very patronising say "My people prefer to be called 'geeks'".
I rather like that. :)

Next February or so, send Richard &/or Rory a PM and see if they will pick up a new "geeks rule" coffee mug or thermos from Microsoft for you at the next MVP summit. :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eui

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back